What Calls to use?

BizCT

So I just bought the FOXPRO Spitfire from Cabelas. http://www.cabelas.com/product/FOXPRO-Spitfire-Predator-Caller/734955.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dspitfire&Ntt=spitfire

It comes with a remote so I can put the caller away from me...it also comes with 24 sounds: Included Calls: Coyote Locator, Coyote Male Challenge Scream, Female Coyote Bark Howl, Female Coyote Long Howl, Coyote Pup Scream, Coyote Pup Howl, Scream-n Gray Fax, Juvenile Red Fox Distress, Bobcat in Heat, Lightning Jack, Jackrabbit Distress, Snow Shoe Distress, Bay Bee Cottontail, Distressed Calf, Whitetail Buck Fawn, Vole Squeaks, Roar-n-Red Squirrel, Prairie Dog Distress, Lucky Bird, Raspy Woodpecker, Ranting Red Bird, Raccoon Fight, Crow Fight.

My question is what calls should I start off using? Here's some quick background info: I live in Putnam County, NY (shotgun county only and .22 rimfire allowed)..heavy woods for the most part, but i have some spots where i can watch valley's etc out to a couple of hundred yards...there are definitely Coyotes and Red Fox where I plan on calling...maybe some Bobcat, but never seen them. I am pretty much 99% sure that where I will be hunting, nobody hunts for predators and calls, etc...so my thinking is that these predators will not be suspicious of these calls....an example is that many times while deer hunting and using a fawn bleet call ive had red fox and coyote coming running in, right past me.  Any help would be great, thanks!  I would assume cottontail to start?? and how far away should I put the caller?

Are you positive Putnam County is shotgun only?  I was hoping to start coyote hunting and would like to get a centerfire rifle for it.

Here's the New York DEC regulation on furbearer hunting.  As always, it's vague.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/45559.html

I spoke with DEC actually and you are right....after ALL deer seasons are over, you can hunt furbearers with centerfire during the day...only rimfire/shotgun at night.

You can hunt with centerfire at night in most areas in NY, Putnam might be different, but I dont think so.

You may hunt furbearers at night, with or without a light, as follows:

• Use any handgun or bow.
  • Use a shotgun loaded with shot (any size).
  • Use a rifle chambered in any cartridge, except that you may not  possess a centerfire rifle afield, during the day or night, during any  open season for deer in areas restricted to using a shotgun only for  deer.
  • If hunting without a light, the use of a light gathering ("starlight") scope is legal on any firearm listed above.

NOTE: Westchester County and Long Island - Rifles are not allowed

Where you at Bizaro? I'm in Dutchess 30 min from you....Where do you hunt? There are "few" people that routinely call in your area... as of now I use fox calls and rabbit in distress, starting next month you can start hauling "dog songs"....

Im in Putnam on the Putnam/Westchester border.....I never hunted strictly for predators in my area. I will try my luck after the new year....all the predators I have taken or seen were during shotgun deer season....do the people in my area call on state land?

I have not seen one yet, we have plenty of foxes in Dutchess though. I do visit state land in Putnam, California Hill, Cranberry (for pheasant), Niham....etc have not seen another caller there either, I'm sure people are out there maybe it was the timing thing

I have a caller (some electronic thing the wife got me) but have not taken it with me yet.

I've been going up to Ninham, but didn't see anything yesterday. Since it's after deer season I can take the .22 Mag...but I took the shotgun for no good reason. It was the easiest one to grab that morning.

I'm hoping to go again very soon. Let me know, if you want some company, we can meet for coffee.

-Bill

I'm hoping to go again very soon. Let me know, if you want some company, we can meet for coffee.

-Bill

No problem Bill, will do...Where do you park when you get to Niham?

At California Hill I go all the way Waywaywanda CT, by the water, I will be getting there more often as it seems to be a center of that location, so you can walk in all directions. I have been at Niham once or twice and don't know that place to well, I will have to do more scouting there

I'm usually up on the left side & I park at the first area on the left. I've hunted the top of the mountain too. Last year I did a fair amount down at the first area..the right side with the large parking area.

But, I've taken game from both areas.

Where do you go when you're there?

My plan this week is to get out in dutchess cty and do a lot of yote hunting. I plan on baiting some and if your out I have no problem telling your were I baited so you can hit the bait pile as well. With the snow melting, it makes my hunt easier with my truck. BKLN I have called in yotes up there,just haven't got one yet. Yes I hunt with a .22 in putnam cty, But also hunt with a shotgun when need be...Hope to c u all out there....Marty

What up Marty?

That's cool, maybe we can hook up and hit the stands together. Being honest I'm getting tired of the day stands, nothing comes to it...too crowded neighborhoods we live in... I see tons of tracks in the snow just nothing shows up during the day. I tried 4 AM and 4 PM with the same results... nothing...I'm thinking hitting the stands with a bow at night time...or even air gun to keep things quiet...let me know if you are up to it...

Regards