Public hunting in Wayne county - best spots?

Core

I've heard the best time to nail down a hunting spot is the day before the season starts  :taunt:  I did call a DEC officer yesterday as well, so I think I'm not missing any locations.

As far as I can tell, the only public hunting land is:

Galen WMA

Lake Shore Marshes WMA, which is connected to Chimney Bluffs Park (does allow hunting)

Montezuma WMA

Problem with Montezuma is it's a bit farther away for me. Also has a special permit required, though I don't know if it's hard to get (probably not).

Galen seems really small (?).

Lake Shore is 40 min from me. It has 4-5 main sections. It seems predominantly marsh, though certain parts of it do jut nicely with farmers' fields. I don't have waders (yet) so don't want to spend all day up to my knees in water.

Any pointers with Lake Shore, or if not a hot spot, at least spots to avoid?

No specific guidance, but walk the edges and points of the marsh.  Points are great buck bedding as are small islands in the marsh.  The transition edges should have good deer travel.  Muck boots will work fine if you stay towards the edges.

Nice! Do you go there often? I only have hunting boots which are waterproof up to about 5-6" by the looks of it.

The officer said it is pressured due to being state land but also it's much more relaxed during bow. I don't have a stand (yet?), so will be still hunting, or doing my best approximation of it.

Montezuma is a missed opportunity because of how it is managed. You can't scout ahead of season, and you have to get the daily check-in permits from the office.

I've hunted it in gun 2x with my FIL and there are some worthwhile spots, but you're literally having to scout while hunting. That place would be better served by a lottery or allowing pre-designated scouting days like other similar land designations.

The other two spots offer some decent hunting, and definitely not as heavy in bow. I'd focus around the farm field borders and then work backwards given the time of season, especially if you don't have marsh hunting gear.

• Like 1

I have never been there.  My suggestion is just based on general marsh scouting advice.  Looks at birdseye view on bing and try to determine transition edges and points jutting into the marsh.  Then assess your entry and use good wind to enter those areas.  Those boots may or may not get you there without wet feet.  Early season, some $15 rubber boots from walmart will help to get you deeper.  Go slow because it can be loud walking in a marsh.

If its heavily used by other hunters, the further in you go, the better off you may be to see deer. 

Good luck.

• Like 1