Featherstonhaugh State Forest

DirtTime

Never heard back from the local ranger. Ended up talking to the Lt. Officer who handles all three for the area ( whole different tale of misery ). I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a bow only area, it's not. It goes by Schenectady Co. law and rifle/shotgun, bow, cross bow, and ML are all fine during the respective seasons and with proper tags of course. The only law other then that is absolutely no target shooting.

I was told it really doesn't get much pressure, but that didn't say much. Kind of like a glass half empty/half full thing to me. As for game? Deer, squirrel, fox, and I was told there are turkey in there if you can find them. 0-o

I had planned to take a ride over there on Sunday for turkey and small game, but the rain is making me think twice. I still may take a drive, but, I hate hunting in the rain these days. Not worth getting soaked in cold temps for small game or a turkey. 

My thought is the further you get from Albany/Schenectady the less pressure you will get.  Never hunted that one before, but if it was me I would probably drive right past it to Yatesville Falls, Rural Grove, Charleston or Lost Valley State Forests.  They are only a few more min away and they have a lot more area in them.  I have hunted all four of those and have seen deer on each. 

I have hunted Charleston and Lost Valley. Charleston is best if you stay away from the Hughes Rd. area of that land. Lotta hunters in that area. Lost Valley gets a good amount of pressure. Too much in my opinion. Or at least it used too.

Actually from me:

Yatesville Falls, Rural Grove, Charleston or Lost Valley State Forests.

Are far more then just a few more minutes. They are about 30-60 minutes past Featherstonhaugh.

I am looking for a place to hunt during the week that is close to home for SZ gun season where I don't have to drive for an hour or more. Weekends I will be on private land in the NZ. I also want a place to hunt small game that's close. I am not about driving an hour or more for bushy tails or rabbit. 

I think I will take a ride out there Tuesday or Wednesday morning and have a look with a boots on ground POV. Take the 12 with some #6 shot and look around a bit. Area has me curious. Can't hurt. A few hours in the woods hunting for small game or fall turkey beats not hunting at all if you have the chance.

I think I will take a ride out there Tuesday or Wednesday morning and have a look with a boots on ground POV. Take the 12 with some #6 shot and look around a bit. Area has me curious. Can't hurt. A few hours in the woods hunting for small game or fall turkey beats not hunting at all if you have the chance.

That changed. Deer hunting Wed. NZ.

• 3 months later...

...rob

Hope you made out well.  It was the first season for rifle in the park; it was bow (maybe shotgun...) for deer prior to that.  I lived in Schenectady Co. in 2014, before I moved across the Hudson, and Fall turkey hunted.  I saw a lot of deer track, but the area I headed into was on the border of a marsh, and real thick.  It was tough walking, and there were a lot of hiking trails.  Hope you found a good spot.

• Like 1

...rob

Hope you made out well.  It was the first season for rifle in the park; it was bow (maybe shotgun...) for deer prior to that.  I lived in Schenectady Co. in 2014, before I moved across the Hudson, and Fall turkey hunted.  I saw a lot of deer track, but the area I headed into was on the border of a marsh, and real thick.  It was tough walking, and there were a lot of hiking trails.  Hope you found a good spot.

It was thick in some areas, but I am used to that. Most state/public land in this area have hiking/cross country ski trails. You just have to be aware of them and what direction you are shooting in. It's pretty small, and I am not sure I would have taken a shot with my rifle. Better bow land then any gun IMO. Unless small game shotgun. I think even a .22 shooting at a tree rat in a tree and missing could be bad. I haven't walked he whole area yet, but there were a few places I saw deer.

Rob, did you deer hunt in there this past season? Just curious on how it is over there.

Yes, I was in there a few times during the week. It was quiet, and I did see a few does. I was mainly just going in and sitting in spots I got the gut feeling. I have also been in there twice for squirrel. I wouldn't hunt here with a .22 and shooting into tree tops, it's more urban then suburban ( not literally, just a lot of homes scattered around ). I plan to get in there more this spring and summer and get to know it better. Maybe even fish the swamp that's in there.

I spent most of my deer season in the NZ.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't see any grouse. That's not saying they may not be there, I just didn't see any. No rabbits either.

This place is small and most of it is thick. The best way to know if it has what you are looking for is get out there and have a look for yourself. The roads around it are narrow and there aren't many places to actually park where you are legally off the road.