Help aging

DanielT

now this is interesting.  is this the 6pt with 6pt on top that you posted in the harvest thread?  based on that harvest thread picture I'd say that deer's 2.5.

with this picture... directly from the side versus from above it's hard to tell if dentine width of first molar (fourth tooth back) is more than enamel width.  it doesn't appear to be though.  what's interesting is the 3rd premolar has quite a bit of staining when considering at 2.5 years old it would've just replaced it.  although staining is still possible.

lastly looking at the last tooth back (3rd molar), the last cusp is not still pointed but worn to concavity to me which is a sign of 3.5.

lingual crests at 3.5 will still look high and pointed so can't go much by that.  if the dentine width was NOT questionably as wide as the tongue side enamel on the first molar then I'd still go with 2.5 yrs old.  if it was questionably wide I'd go with 3.5 just based on looking at a jawbone alone.

• Like 2

now this is interesting.  is this the 6pt with 6pt on top that you posted in the harvest thread?  based on that harvest thread picture I'd say that deer's 2.5.

with this picture... directly from the side versus from above it's hard to tell if dentine width of first molar (fourth tooth back) is more than enamel width.  it doesn't appear to be though.  what's interesting is the 3rd premolar has quite a bit of staining when considering at 2.5 years old it would've just replaced it.  although staining is still possible.

lastly looking at the last tooth back (3rd molar), the last cusp is not still pointed but worn to concavity to me which is a sign of 3.5.

lingual crests at 3.5 will still look high and pointed so can't go much by that.  if the dentine width was NOT questionably as wide as the tongue side enamel on the first molar then I'd still go with 2.5 yrs old.  if it was questionably wide I'd go with 3.5 just based on looking at a jawbone alone.

Holy crap ! Impressive !!  Thanks for the lesson.

• Like 1

The last cusp on the 3rd molar is always concave. On this one its not worn down the side of the tooth at all, which is why Id go with 2.

The last cusp on the 3rd molar is always concave. On this one its not worn down the side of the tooth at all, which is why Id go with 2.

I've always thought at 2.5 most of the time on the cheek side it'll be slightly pointed but blunt and still appear concave.  at 3.5 it's concave as in flat and concave.  then at 4.5 the last cusp will be worn down the side with the face sloped toward the cheek.  we just had a 160 lb, 17.5" spread, 8 pointer taken during youth season that had the last cusp pointed.  i aged it and others seemed to agree.  I guess i'll have to look into that more though and keep an open mind.

now this is interesting. is this the 6pt with 6pt on top that you posted in the harvest thread? based on that harvest thread picture I'd say that deer's 2.5.

with this picture... directly from the side versus from above it's hard to tell if dentine width of first molar (fourth tooth back) is more than enamel width. it doesn't appear to be though. what's interesting is the 3rd premolar has quite a bit of staining when considering at 2.5 years old it would've just replaced it. although staining is still possible.

lastly looking at the last tooth back (3rd molar), the last cusp is not still pointed but worn to concavity to me which is a sign of 3.5.

lingual crests at 3.5 will still look high and pointed so can't go much by that. if the dentine width was NOT questionably as wide as the tongue side enamel on the first molar then I'd still go with 2.5 yrs old. if it was questionably wide I'd go with 3.5 just based on looking at a jawbone alone.

Yes it is the 6 pointer....thank you for the info...very interesting...

That's why these forums are great