Quite impressed with my rifled slugs in Mossberg 500

Core

I've never had a problem with recoil target shooting and I use my 45/70 as a plinking gun. The worse recoil I can say i have experienced is a 3.5 in mag turkey load out of a mossberg 835. 56 ft lbs ot is the highest tested against big bore rifles like the nitro 50. Or 375 h&h mag. Which only produce ft energy in the high 30's

You made a excellent purchase the Mossberg 500 pump. We have two of these in our family.

I have taken many a deer with the one I use. I shoot open sights only. Best all around accuracy and

instant knock down was the basic Remington 1 ounce slug that I continue to use today. Any good placed shot that

I have made with this slug over the years dumps the deer where it stands. I made a behind the shoulder shot that a 6 point

came up right  in back of me from about 20 yards. He wheeled away and ran 25 to 30 yrds. into the woods and folded.

Turns out I was ( up wind ) of the buck but I had saturated my watch with Tinks 69 doe extrus scent.Stuff really works. That

buck must have been awful horny.

You made a excellent purchase the Mossberg 500 pump. We have two of these in our family.

I have taken many a deer with the one I use. I shoot open sights only. Best all around accuracy and

instant knock down was the basic Remington 1 ounce slug that I continue to use today. Any good placed shot that

I have made with this slug over the years dumps the deer where it stands. I made a behind the shoulder shot that a 6 point

came up right  in back of me from about 20 yards. He wheeled away and ran 25 to 30 yrds. into the woods and folded.

Turns out I was ( up wind ) of the buck but I had saturated my watch with Tinks 69 doe extrus scent.Stuff really works. That

buck must have been awful horny.

By open do you mean the two beads? I couldn't see enough of the target with mine and just wasn't usable with it at much range. Still, as much as I'd like a rifle I truly have no excuse for one, given the woods I hunt in.

I went back to the range and this time folded up a winter hat a few times between the stock and my shoulder. Shooting low-recoil it's like an air rifle, amazing. Even the big boys it's way, way nicer.

I left early because the range was too crowded, but between the remington 7/8 oz high velocity slugs and the regular and low velocity tru ball I am thinking the high velocity are grouping the best. The low seemed to be grouping terribly (6" at 50 yards) but I'll get back there when it's empty and know for sure.

If the remington keep shooting as they seem to be through this smooth bore I will simply never look for any other slugs again. Unfortunately the 1800 fps high velocity ones are not super easy to find (I got these at gander, but they aren't always in stock). But they also have a graph on the box and if you're zeroed for 50 yards you'll lose 4.1" more at 100 yards.

Edited by Core

Went again yesterday. Mossberg 500, 28" ported field barrel. Results at 50 yards:

Federal Vital Shok low recoil 1oz slugs * 4 shots

10"+ group. 3 were within 3" of each other but one was a mad flyer that expanded the group, and I don't think I flinched while firing.

Federal Vital Shok regular rifled 1oz slugs * 4 shots

4-5" group. 

Remington high velocity 7/8 oz slugs * 3 shots

2" group

The federal standard were pretty usable for sure up to 50 yards but then I shot one at 75" and it veered several inches to the side. I wouldn't particularly trust them past 50 to be honest.

I think the remington high velocity are completely usable at least to 75 yards if not more. Unfortunately, I didn't get them for $.15/each after rebate from field and stream like I did the others, and I ran out of ammo before I could keep testing at longer ranges.

I'm shooting with a non-magnified red dot still. I think the rem high velocity with a scope would make this gun reliably usable at 100 yards

You and me both buddy, I'm running a winchester sxp with improved cylinder choke and 1oz rifled slugs. Tax time I'm buying a 30.06 but for now you use what you got and with that kind of accuracy your good to go.

I suppose you don't want me to tell you then that dicks has a savage axis xp for $199 on black friday and field and stream is repeatedly offering the rem 783 at $249 after rebate--plus you can probably get a $25 off $100+ purchases type coupon from signing up with them ;)

I'm trying hard not to buy one of them, maybe even in a .243 so I can shoot a bit at the range without breaking the bank.

Edited by Core

• 2 weeks later...

We have had 3 Mossberg 500 shotguns in our family.  We sold one and still of course have the 2 in our gun locker.

I cannot say enough how wonderful these gun models are. Just super. Over the many years hunting N.Y. Southern Tier near Cameron, N. Y.

Our gun club, The Clayton Calumets which I have belonged to for over 25 yrs. I have killed many doe,s on party permits and bucks with this shotgun useing a  slug barrel.

The best and only slug I would only use is the Remington 1 ounce slug. Open sights at the gun range, I could take half of the hole out of the hole i just got on the 1st. shot at 75yds..

Now you may think wow ,  open sights. Yes I could do this. I was a expert shooter in the military.

The 1 ounce slugs are soft lead and when they hit a deer behind the shoulder, they just drop. I always no matter what, if the shot isn,t good  I don,t take it.

Let the deer go. If the weapon you hunt with is not sighted in so you know where that bullet is going to hit exactly where you aim it, then you might as well stay home.

You have made a wonderful purchase buying the Mossberg 500,s. They,ll never let you down and will last you a life time. Just keep them cleaned and oiled when needed.

Froggy