308 Hand Load for Elk.

ckbailey97

Dinsdale, 

With respect to the .243, I just bought my son a T/C Encore in .243 and was considering upgrading to a Bullberry barrel in a larger caliber before next year.  My concern being off angle shots on whitetails or large bears (see below- taken Friday night behind my house).  Any thoughts on the .243 for being a good finisher on a job like that? Yes, I know people use them successfully on Elk, I also have a buddy in Texas who manages his herd with a .22mag. It doesn't mean it's the most eithical and best method of doing it. 

I'll order up 150's and 168's and see what things look like. 

Thanks for the info. 

blogger-image-1234628595.jpg

Nice bear (!)

If you are asking would I send someone out with a 243 for a big bear like in the pic; probably not.

They have a bunch of fat on them that can plug up wounds.

But like you have stated; I'm sure there are folks that would or have done it, just not my choice.

chas0218, on 10 Dec 2015 - 12:49 PM, said:

I guess it could be off a little I never had any issues with the bolt locking up or any signs of too much chamber pressure. My buddy has a 7mm rem mag that also reloads and couldn't believe the numbers either (his chrono and was cheap). I could tame it down a bit and my brass would last a little longer. I can only usually get 2 or 3 reloads before the the neck cracks. I am using the Hornady Superformance powder with Mag primers. I don't know the exact powder amount I think it is around 49gr. Its a slower burning powder but that might be the reason why I don't show signs of too much chamber pressure.

I think I tried the TTSX were better than the factory TSX but they still didn't meet my expectations. Every rifle is different and will like different bullets, powders, cartridge lengths, ect. When I first got my rifle I bought some remington cor-lokts factory ammo (cheap and have shot them in every other rifle) and they shot beautifully but they were very dirty and the MV wasn't very good after 150 yards they dropped like lead balloons.

Hey..Whatever works for you, Partner...I have had no experience with the superformance powders..

Good luck and wear your shooting glasses..

• Like 1

I wouldn't be afraid to crack that bear with my .243 as long as I was using a Barnes TTSX. 

Here (and I apologize to those that have seen these pics numerous time) are some pictures of a bullet I recovered embedded in a roast from a doe I shot in PA a few years ago.  

The deer was 235 yards, head on, I had a perfect rest and all the confidence in the world. At the shot she just disappeared, she flipped over backwards and never twitched.  I hit her just off center and the bullet ended up lodged in the roast on one side of the hind quarter.  Pretty good performance for an 80gr bullet...............

IMG_3313.jpg

IMG_3312.jpg

IMG_3311.jpg

IMG_3314.jpg

I'll be carrying my .243 stoked with that same bullet this weekend, wish me luck.  :)

• Like 2