Approximately how much does it cost to get a Whitetail shoulder mount?

longislandhunter

I don't know all the particulars other than what has been posted here. One thing I will say and I believe this no matter the arguments made to me. The customer is always right. If you don't give discounts...say it and be courteous about it. I don't care if you are asked 100 times a day. going off on a customer is NEVER warranted. ...great job if it weren't for the public...lol. No one is saying you have to discount anything but there are many out there that feel the need to ask ...where they are justified or not. I would have let that cape rot and bought a new one before I would have left it with that guy. just my 2 cents.

Excelent advice on finding out who wil be doing your work and the price ahead of time. It is an art and not all are created equal. I have seen new mounts that look 20 years old from day one.  I hope it all works out for you.

Again, I wasn't there, and you haven't stipulated exactly what was said, so I can only go on what I see on a daily basis in my shop. I do not give discounts, generally. If I do, it's at my discretion. The customer that brings in alot of work is more likely to get a discount if they don't ask for it. Some people think that because they brought in 4 birds, or 2 deer, that they should recieve a discount. That doesn't make sense considering the costs associated with them are exactly the same. If I discount them, I am getting more work, but for less money. It's simple business 101. Then, once you start the discount snowball, you can't stop it without someone getting mad. The guy you gave a discount to on a deer head wants it on the pheasant he just shot as well, his cousin comes in and wants a deal also...on and on..pretty soon the taxidermist might as well throw his pricelist out the window. Now, he has gotten some extra business from those discounts, but now he needs extra time to complete them, and at a reduced rate of pay. This is why you can't haggle at a dept. store or supermarket..the price is the price, you either accept the terms or not, the choice is yours. It comes with owning your own business, some people think that the prices are negotiable. Bottom line is you have the right to bring your animal anywhere you wish to have it mounted. If you don't like one shop's price or attitude, you always have an option somewhere else. Asking for a discount up front when dropping off an animal is insulting to the guy who has to do the work. You may not agree with that statement, but I know alot of taxidermists, and have been doing this trade for almost 30 years now, and I can tell you there isn't one taxidermist that doesn't get annoyed at the request anymore. Again, I am just relating how a taxidermist feels about it, and letting you see the other side of the picture.

If the taxidermist you are referring to went crazy on you, and started carrying on in front of everyone, thats  a bit outta line.. he should have simply stated that his prices are non-negotiable, and given you the opportunity to continue seeking a studio more open to your needs, or meet his price and leave it with him. He should not have made it a drama session. That kind of crap is unwarrented, and you probably should not have been subjected to it.

You might want to look around before next season and view other artist's work and pricing so you have more options next time around. If there is a personality conflict, you definately want to patronize a different studio.

Rich

Fins to Feathers

Jeez this post really took on a life of its own.  I just wanted an idea of prices.  So heres my take.  I just dont see any issue with someone asking for a discount even if they have no reason to ask.  As a businessman you have to have thick skin and you shouldnt get insulted, as you probably have bigger things to worry about.  Donald Trump, like him or not is famous for saying you will never know if you dont ask.  I actually met him once and asked him for a million dollars.  He laughed and said no.  Anyway every person has the right to ask and the owner has the right to say no.  As long as each person is courteous to one another then so be it.  For years my dad owned a Telescope store in Oakdale (actually right in the shopping center of a taxidermy place).  He is a professional astronomer and telescopes are a specialized field much like taxidermy. People would come in and ask a million questions and then ask the price.  Then they would say yeah but i can get it online cheaper.  My dad would simply and calmly say "so buy it online, but remeber you dont get me.  If you buy this here i will help you and be here to answer questions etc...."  I think itsteh same in taxidermy.  You get what you pay for.  Anyway I am estimating $500 to play it safe.

Now last thing when you look at a guys work what do you look for?  I mean when a head is hanging on the wall it always looks good to me.  Its not like you can normally look at it up close right??  Any tips?? 

CulverCreek, very well said. I also think that the customer is always right, even if they are a pain in the ARSE. Had a restaurant for over 15 years, before teaching. We had a rule cash only! People would fight with the cashier, she would point to the sign next to the register that said " In GOD we trust all others pay CASH! As long as you are nice with the customers they keep coming back.

No reason a good guy wouldn't let you get close. If you are that interested and their work is solid, most will be happy and proud to have you exam their work. I can say every good one has me, anyway.

At the brisket; the line of the chest hair should be centered and follow the form. Strait or curving depends on the mannikin selected. The white of arm pit hair shouldn't spill outside the form on to the fronts of the legs.

At the nose the black band from the nose should line up top to lower jaw. There should be some nodules on the nose, not just a glossy smooth surface, but some texture. You should see a bit of bottom lip, but not like its puckering for a kiss. The upper lip is just bigger than the lower and the line should be a nice tucked fur.

When looking strait on; Notice if the eyes sit at the same height across, are of the same shape, and are not "sunk" into the form. Deer see 280* and the cornea of there eyes sit "out" to see behind them to their flanks. Eye work is very important, it makes a mount come alive.

Here is one of the top deer guys vids on what a deer should look like; just watch the first few minutes and you can see some pics and see what you also can look at.

The top of the ear butts, the muscular base of an ear, sit up tight to the antler base, not back and down the neck. The ears should be thin and the edge of brown hair just comes to the edge, not curl inside; nor the inner white hair spill out. The butts should also be symmetrical in size, even if in different positions.

I think your $500 should get you a fine mount that will last a lifetime.