Gun stocks

Dom

Is there anyone that measures or gets fitted for the stock on their rifle's?We can all go purchase and hold a rifle but we have different size/shoulder to trigger finger lenghth how do you know if the rifle stock is to long or short?

I never have. Im a lefty so its hard enough to find a rifle. I have two lefty rifles right now and one on the way. I had to order the two I have now. When they came in they fit me well. Im hoping the one on the way does too.

• Like 1

I have mine cut to 13.75" on a rifle and 14.25 on a shotgun.

If I add a recoil pad it's easy to specify what trigger pull I want.  

If the rifle has a synthetic stock, I won't buy it if it doesn't have a 13.75" pull length.

Most shotguns are made with a 14.25" LOP and Kimber Montana rifles have my desired 13.75" LOP.

The right LOP really helps the shooter get on target faster as well as lessen felt recoil.  It is something that really shouldn't be overlooked. 

Edited by Mr VJP
  • Like 1

I'm 5 1/2 feet tall. I've modified almost every gun I own to fit me, and most of them have spacers for LOP to accommodate for clothing under different conditions.

Here's the test: Close your eyes and quickly shoulder the firearm. Open your eyes. If you have to adjust your body in any way to get a good sight picture, you need to alter the stock.

There are whole books on the subject, especially with shotguns, but the bottom line is that struggling to get a good sight picture means you will miss opportunities.

I never have. Im a lefty so its hard enough to find a rifle. I have two lefty rifles right now and one on the way. I had to order the two I have now. When they came in they fit me well. Im hoping the one on the way does too.

I'm also a lefty so as ants says, finding what you want is somewhat difficult. Maybe I'm luck size wise and just fit in the norm as most everything I've shouldered feels good. I own one lefty bolt and it is my "go to" gun. The rest are pumps and to this point I've never caught one in the kisser.  

• 2 weeks later...

There's a nice video on boyds website to find your specific length. If I could make the web work I'd post the link, but for now go to boyds and take a peek. I agree to go 1" short so during late season when your bundled up u can go straight and during warmer weather you can buy a 1" pad.