Delta...and Texas...

growalot

Wow what a difficult time they gave the kids trying to get home!

So left Rochester and my Son travels out west a lot and uses his board bag...NEVER a problem with being over sized...Several times he has flown out west and boarded back across the states...and has gone down to drive his gramps back and used the bag as his suit case...as long as it was under 50# NEVER a problem...Well he gets to the Dallas airport with his family(baby)  and they tell him he can't check his bag..it is over sized and they want 200.00 more!...He has to call his uncle back to pick up the bag...then as he stood in the area discussing this they board the plane   and never called them......She said they did but he has witnesses to the contrary and even though the plane was still there...they refused to let them board....Now with a baby they have to have special seating and now have to wait for another flight,hoping to get a seat and  then a 2 hour lay over in Philly.....hoping the babies car seat arrives safely off the flight they missed....He gets back here and Delta personnel tell him none of this should have happened. He now has to have his bag with their clothes and a bunch of baby gear UPS'd back to NY  to the tune of 100.00... he was suppose to be home by 1pm and I sat at the air port until 6pm for a flight that was due at 5:05...delayed because there were wires hanging out of it. Thank God River is just the best baby...he slept through all 4 plane rides and as they disembark ppl. were saying.... we didn't even know there was a baby on board..That's my Boy!...They gave him a # to call, he is HOT, wants the old guy in Dallas reprimanded.

Edited by growalot

Well in this case I think it's his snow board case...but he also wake boards...He likes to snow board out in the Western Mnt's and has just gotten use to using that bag for all his travels now...We had to weight it before they left and he weighed it again before leaving his Aunts house... he makes sure it is always a couple of #'s under the 50# limit.

Baggage may not exceed 45 linear inches (or 114 cm) in combined length, width and height, including any handles and wheels, with the exception of small musical instruments that fit in the overhead compartment space or under-seat space available at the time of boarding

Baggage must fit easily in the Carry-on Baggage Check (approximately 22" x 14" x 9" or 56 x 35 x 23 cm), which is located near the check-in counters.

Did the snowboard bag meet Deltas size specs for carry on's?? Looks like weight is not the only requirement. If it was within the limits he should have produced these specs form the Delta web page.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Edited by mlammerhirt

Baggage may not exceed 45 linear inches (or 114 cm) in combined length, width and height, including any handles and wheels, with the exception of small musical instruments that fit in the overhead compartment space or under-seat space available at the time of boarding

Baggage must fit easily in the Carry-on Baggage Check (approximately 22" x 14" x 9" or 56 x 35 x 23 cm), which is located near the check-in counters.

Did the snowboard bag meet Deltas size specs for carry on's?? Looks like weight is not the only requirement. If it was within the limits he should have produced these specs form the Delta web page.

Those are carryon measurements I assume?

I think the standard allowance is typically 62" for checked bag. However, I have traveled with gun cases or golf clubs many times. These fall under "special items" typically or "sporting equipment" in which case every airline seems to be different when it comes to an extra fee or not.

I would think a snow/wake board bag is over 62" so special rules would apply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are carryon measurements I assume?

I think the standard allowance is typically 62" for checked bag. However, I have traveled with gun cases or golf clubs many times. These fall under "special items" typically or "sporting equipment" in which case every airline seems to be different when it comes to an extra fee or not.

I would think a snow/wake board bag is over 62" so special rules would apply.

I am assuming you checked the golf clubs correct??

I am assuming you checked the golf clubs correct??

Yes.

Grow- here's your answer for ski/snowboard equipment. Your son should have just took a minute to look up their policy and show them this excerpt. I'm sure his bag was under 80"

Ski or Snowboard Equipment

Ski and snowboard equipment are allowed as checked baggage. One ski/pole bag or one snowboard bag and one boot bag is accepted per person. The combined weight of the ski/snowboard bag and the boot bag may not exceed 50 lbs. or excess weight charges will apply. Linear dimensions may exceed 80 inches (203 cm) without excess size charges. All standard baggage charges apply.

• Like 1

Further, my suggestion is for him to write an email and explain all his losses and he will get $. I do it all the time if there's an issue.

2 weeks ago I flew home from LAX to JFK, I had to wait 45min at baggage claim for my bags because of a belt malfunction. I sent an email explaining my time is valuable and I should be compensated, etc. my wife and I each got $150 credit.

My Dad was on a flight to Calgary with bad turbulence where a passenger broke her nose. My dad was fine, but I wrote the email for him and he got $1,000 credit.

When air canada went on strike and I was going to be stuck in Timmins for an extra day, I flew private to Toronto and then another big airline home to NY. I made air canada pay for all my flights and food etc

• Like 1

He has flown with that snow board bag many many times and through the Dallas air port...As I said the Rochester personnel told him as I stood there ...you should never have had a problem ppl fly out of here with snow boards all of the time ...I believe it was just one nasty old guy with an issue in Dallas...Both the kids said that he gave them attitude the moment they stepped up to the counter to check in. He chooses to fly Delta because they have always been the easiest,and friendliest  to deal with......Not sure whether having the baby with them made a difference but even getting seating was made hard...neither River or Mom had flown before and they had them sitting away from our son and he'd booked ahead of time trying to get them all together. She's pretty easy going and River is such a good baby so it wasn't a problem but would have been nice as support had either experienced fliers ear.

I wonder what they will do to rectify this..he wants shipping charges reimbursed. I believe is was a checked bag not carry on..it would have gone with the car seat...

In addition to the shipping, he should tell them he missed a day of work or something from the extra day traveling and needs that compensation as well.

Maybe something like this:

.....I lost a day of work, which means I lost $1,000 for the day. While I understand the airline industry is in a challenging economic environment, I believe that $500 compensation would be fair.

• Like 1