Scope options

Tughill Tamer

All depends what you consider vitals and where you are aiming to hit. The op never specified, neither did Belo.

But if you are implying that all deer hunters don't hold high or low, then I'd also disagree as I hold higher or lower. I imagine a bullseye target on everything I shoot at, and strive to hit the red, every time.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/ishootairguns

So you're telling me that you and your optics are so bad ass you adjust for 2 inches on a whitetail at 200 yards? Edited by Belo

All depends what you consider vitals and where you are aiming to hit. The op never specified, neither did Belo.

But if you are implying that all deer hunters don't hold high or low, then I'd also disagree as I hold higher or lower. I imagine a bullseye target on everything I shoot at, and strive to hit the red, every time.

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

So you're telling me that you and your optics are so bad ass you adjust for 2 inches on a whitetail at 200 yards?

He gets a lot of 200yd practice in his back yard in the Bronx.

PBR is on a 9" target out to 300 yards isn't necessary IMO. I'd rather aim small, and miss small.

On a rifle or shooter that shoots 3MOA, you're looking at a 9" spread at 300 yards. There isn't any PBR that could possibly help in these scenarios, unless you're shooting a laser beam.

PBR only works for those who strive for accuracy, and needs to react at a closer range where they don't have the luxury of adjusting turrets or referencing a hold-over chart. When you're after animals greater than 200 yards, and sometimes 100 yards, PBR isn't really necessary.

Let's have a look at a .270, 130gr bullet W/3100fps Mv shall we.

1st the graph for 3" + or - maximum PBR.

2016-02-05%203_zpst3fltzbp.png

Note that @ 300 yds a center of the vitals hold would still result in a clean kill shot. @ 400yds holding on the top of the withers would also result in a clean kill shot. No need for any calculating.

If the deer covers your 5 MOA duplex gap, just hold dead on for the center of the vitals. If the deer fills 3/4 of the gap it is approximately 400yds. If it fills less than that, don't shoot! Look at the deer between your duplex, aim, bang, flop, quick & easy.

Now, lets look at the trajectory graph for the same bullet, at the same Mv sighted in for 100yds.

2016-02-06%201_zpswyzpxez6.png

Anything beyond 200yds is going to require some hold over.

Now, @ 300yds the bullet is 10" low so to hit near the vertical center of the vitals we could hold on the top of the withers. Not that hard, yet.

Lets say that the deer is standing there long enough for us to use a range finder to establish that the deer is now 400yds distant. Now, the deer must stand there while you calculate or consult your hold over chart. OK, 24" of drop from LOS, 10" from the withers to the center of the vitals, 24-10 = 14" hold above hair. Lets see, how do we establish how much 14" is.

But you can use your turret clicks you say. OK, now the deer has to stand there even longer while you fiddle W/your elevation dials all the time it doesn't notice your movement.

Once my scope is sighted in I don't want to touch any adjustments!

Now honestly, which method would be easier in the heat of the moment when one is probably staving off the affects of buck fever?

Edited by wildcat junkie

He gets a lot of 200yd practice in his back yard in the Bronx.

Hey, I get it. Not everyone can afford to live in the best city in the world. I don't mind the envy. It's actually very flattering.

I do get plenty of practice out to and past 200 yards though, probably more than you've been to a big city. You should come out of that dump you call a home sometime, it'll open your narrow mind to a whole different world, called civilization.

Let's have a look at a .270, 130gr bullet W/3100fps Mv shall we.

1st the graph for 3" + or - maximum PBR.

2016-02-05%203_zpst3fltzbp.png

Note that @ 300 yds a center of the vitals hold would still result in a clean kill shot. @ 400yds holding on the top of the withers would also result in a clean kill shot. No need for any calculating.

If the deer covers your 5 MOA duplex gap, just hold dead on for the center of the vitals. If the deer fills 3/4 of the gap it is approximately 400yds. If it fills less than that, don't shoot! Look at the deer between your duplex, aim, bang, flop, quick & easy.

Now, lets look at the trajectory graph for the same bullet, at the same Mv sighted in for 100yds.

2016-02-06%201_zpswyzpxez6.png

Anything beyond 200yds is going to require some hold over.

Now, @ 300yds the bullet is 10" low so to hit near the vertical center of the vitals we could hold on the top of the withers. Not that hard, yet.

Lets say that the deer is standing there long enough for us to use a range finder to establish that the deer is now 400yds distant. Now, the deer must stand there while you calculate or consult your hold over chart. OK, 24" of drop from LOS, 10" from the withers to the center of the vitals, 24-10 = 14" hold above hair. Lets see, how do we establish how much 14" is.

But you can use your turret clicks you say. OK, now the deer has to stand there even longer while you fiddle W/your elevation dials all the time it doesn't notice your movement.

Once my scope is sighted in I don't want to touch any adjustments!

Now honestly, which method would be easier in the heat of the moment when one is probably staving off the affects of buck fever?

Not everyone gets buck fever, but I guess when you're desperate, you might.

Hey, I get it. Not everyone can afford to live in the best city in the world. I don't mind the envy. It's actually very flattering.

I do get plenty of practice out to and past 200 yards though, probably more than you've been to a big city. You should come out of that dump you call a home sometime, it'll open your narrow mind to a whole different world, called civilization.

I won't set foot in that shithole.

This is my backyard.

MaxBirds2-14-061compressed.jpg

http://facebook.com/sandinmyvagina

Always know how to get a group on your side. I enjoy the big city, visit it at least once a year to see my friends. But with all the money in the world I wouldn't call it home.

Please understand that we're all different. I enjoy a big piece of land for my family to enjoy. You can enjoy your easy access. I will enjoy my freedom to carry a firearm and you can enjoy endless entertainment options. There is no right or wrong place to call home.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...