Leaf blowing

I just watched today's growing deer video. I know that we are not allowed to burn the woods in the great state of new york. So my question is, what if you took the mighty leaf blower and did the same thing as the fire? Basically remove all the old leaves with out the burn? I know it won't kill off any of the smaller trees like they showed, but will it help with adding some new under growth? I figure you could always go back and hack and squirt trees later. I also figure they burn because of the size of the areas they are doing to save time. I also figure the burn adds natural fertilizer to the ground. But for a few bucks you could always add some cheap fert. and even lime depending on what happens. Any suggestions or anyone ever try it?

Thanks

i have a pretty hefty backpack blower. it's more of a chore than it looks sometimes. and you'll need a place to blow where they wont just blow back. sticks, small bushes and branches will all hold and catch the leaves. I believe your efforts are better off at cutting down some canopy. the undergrowth will come.

I leaf blow all my trails and with out doing anything 2 things happen....either heavy moss grows or the native grasses and some weeds grow...usually due to moisture and lack of sun..it is moss...Though what will kill even my bigger worked plots here is moss...no matter what I do or add or even how much sun plots get here...in 3 years A plot will be filled with moss. in fact I have 3 plots that are all over 10yrs old I will have to kill down rake the moss out of  lime again(I add lime to planted plots every year to maintain) fertilize and plant. They all get good sun have great PH. but we have cold moist soils ,even for being in the middle of a steep hill...The pics show two plots that have been taken over by moss  since late summer. Even with good PH if I receive a lot of rain and the summers are cool...I'm guaranteed a replant on woodland plots the following year or two...they need a lot of PH maintenance due to leaf fall.... ... the link will explain moss growth:

http://smallfarms.oregonstate.edu/sfn/spg07moss

PS. I love our Stihl commercial back pack LB...I do 2 miles of trails with it a few times a year.Only thing that's tough for me is having it run out of fuel when I'm down the hill and the Gator as  at the top of the hill....I try not to misjudge fuel consumption...

Edited by growalot

Good read, thanks. I would love to cut trees down but can't. Have too look at this property more of a lease than my own. I can't cut any trees down but I can plant trees, "clean up" the woods (remove dead stuff,leaf blow, maintain trails that are already in place, ect.) Just looking for ideas. I'm also thinking of fertilizing part of the neighboring hay lot, mix of clovers and grasses. Not the whole 20 acre field, but in front of stands and maybe thin strips to dictate some movement. 

you're doing a lot of work for very little.  if anything just leaf blow a narrow trail where you want and think the deer would travel.  they really take to trails down to bare earth.  quiet non-connected access trail in is also good.  don't do it right before the hunt.  deer trails should have tight vegetation so their brushing up on stuff.  your access "trail" should have nothing within arms reach.  only thing you touch is sprayed rubber bottomed boots to the ground.

• Like 1

dbhunterny- I already do all that. Just didn't know if removing leaf litter would help anything or be a waste of time. I don't mind the extra work, it is my hobby after all. I just figured pick up the dead stuff on the ground to make some "walls" to block deer in spots, and around tree stands for access and such. Then blow the leaf litter out and see if any thing popped up this spring before trees got leaves on them. 

I Do not normally recommend this..but rye grass might grow..orchard would be better...but if you have bramble growing or elderberry....your money may be better spent fertilizing those...before you do anything in the woods make sure you know what you have there now...many wild flowers, weeds, fruit are more attractive than things we plant...and much harder to recover once destroyed. You could just end up moving deer ,the loo eye away. Evaluate first.

dbhunterny- I already do all that. Just didn't know if removing leaf litter would help anything or be a waste of time. I don't mind the extra work, it is my hobby after all. I just figured pick up the dead stuff on the ground to make some "walls" to block deer in spots, and around tree stands for access and such. Then blow the leaf litter out and see if any thing popped up this spring before trees got leaves on them. 

yea it'd mostly be wasted effort.  in areas of heavy duff where the sun light might get to, within range of your stand, and along a trail I'd say go for it.  aside from that I don't think it'd do much.  don't cut anything.  rake and leaf blow.  give yourself plenty of time to let the area settle if going back a second time once the bucks have shed velvet. that's my opinion.