Sneaky Pete 5/28/10

letinmfly

Sneaky Pete was an appropriate name for this wise old tom and it was given to him by BigTom.  He earned his name because whenever we would head off into the woods away from the vehicle Sneaky Pete would come out and hang out by the vehicle!! 

This morning started off very quiet as the fog rolled in and out.  After a couple of hours of deafening silence on our first setup we decided to make a move.  On the way back to the car we made two stops and made a few calls.  On the second stop as Tom made a call on his Firewood Boxcall, Sneaky Pete cut him right off!!  We quickly setup and a couple of more calls on the boxcall and Sneaky had crossed the road to our side and gobbled a couple of more times.  Shortly thereafter 5 hens came to the edge of the woodlot and Sneaky snuck out the back door on us!! 

The hens stayed there for about 10 minutes and all of a sudden the lead hen started cuttin in an attempt to find the "hen" that called to them and Sneaky.  That's when Sneaky Pete decided to do an about face and come back towards us.  When he got within range it was time to shoot and my shot was true!!

The shot was approximately 35 yards and Sneaky Pete was down!!!  The season had worn him down badly.  He weighed 13 lbs!!  :O  He had spurs of 1.25" and a broken off spur of 1", with a beard length f 10.25".  I wound up killing him in the same exact spot where I took my tom last season!!

All in all my season was filled with aggrevation, from other hunters, and sheer enjoyment from chasing these "dumb" birds.  ::)

I had a great time hunting with my good friend BigTom and was afforded great hospitality by him and his family.  Thanks Tom!!!  8)    Looking forward to this season!! 

The boxcall is one that Tom made which attributed to Sneaky's demise!!

Sorry for my doofy look...it's a combination of happiness and sheer tiredness!!  ???

height=600 width=800http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t192/letinmfly/100_0702.jpg[/img]

height=600 width=800http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t192/letinmfly/100_0703.jpg[/img]

height=600 width=800http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t192/letinmfly/100_0704.jpg[/img]

He was definitely a challenge and I'm glad I was able to finally put my tag on him.  I'm thinking he was at least a 3 year old and more likely a 4 year old bird.  It was extra special being that he was a state land bird and that my good friend was with me when I got him.

Geno.

We saw him on quite a few occasions and you just get to know them by sight after a while.  The area we haunted was his core area and he was king of the woods.  He was a fighter as was seen by his weight of only 13 lbs.  He ran himself ragged protecting his area and keeping his harem to himself.