New New York DEC regulation prohibits feeding of black bears

The DEC has adopted a rule prohibiting the feeding of black bears.  Previously,  DEC prohibited the intentional feeding of bears in proximity to certain  locations. In an effort to reduce bear habituation to human-supplied  foods and future human-bear conflicts, DEC’s new regulation prohibits  both intentional and incidental feeding of bears statewide. 

Specifically, the regulation bans intentional  feeding of black bears, and, after previous written notice from DEC,  also prohibits incidental or indirect feeding of black bears through  food attractants such as garbage, refuse or bird seed. The regulation  grants DEC the authority to require removal of these and other food  attractants when bears become problematic. 

DEC generally encourages discontinuing bird  feeding activity in the Spring when bears emerge from their dens and  natural foods for bears are not abundant and natural food for birds are  becoming more available. 

The regulation also updates the conditions under which hounds can be trained and used to help manage bear problems.  The use of bear hounds is one of the most effective tools for reducing bear damage to farm crops, especially corn. 

A description of the regulation and a summary of public comment is available at www.dec.ny.gov/animals/6960.html.   

SIT....the problem is the ppl that aren't use to seeing them and want pics and such...also the ones that want to hunt....they just opened the season in our area....kinda like ...want to be the first in the area to bag one ::(

We know I guy who's girl friend feeds the deer in their yard year around....he claimed a bear tried to get into his chicken coop...I was doubtful so went to take pics...My Coop is over 400ft down in our woods less than a 1/2 mile from him and never hit....his is next to his house and garage in a group of houses...Well yep there were the muddy prints all over the wall and window...but while we stood talking a group of deer appeared 70ft away and casually strolled  through his yard........ppl never learn..why we have to have laws for dang near everything ::)

Dang I can't spell even with spell check....lol :(

As many bears that are turning up everywhere. And the lack of bears being taken by hunters. Some areas should allow baiting. They claim that bears are gonna become accustomed to people feeding them. Makes no sense. Bears are gonna eat what they want to and from where ever they can. I have had bears in the back yard many times. I didn't feed them. They took what they wanted. i'm willing to bet that at some point down the road the state will legalize baiting in areas of high bear densities. And as long as there are state parks and picnic baskets,bears will see humans as a provider of food. Heres one of the bear's  from last year who visited a few times.

IMG_0712.jpg

IMG_0713.jpg

He slept in the neighbors tree while i mowed.

IMG_0717.jpg

This was one early dark morning headin to the truck to go turkey hunting. He scared me and i scared him.

IMG_0688.jpg

IMG_0687.jpg

They claim that bears are gonna become accustomed to people feeding  them. Makes no sense. Bears are gonna eat what they want to and from  where ever they can. I have had bears in the back yard many times. I  didn't feed them.

This is why when a problem bear is reported ...they look into yours  and your nieghbors routines as it were...how you care for garbage....if there are bird feeders around....how you feed your domestic pets ect...Then let you know what is causing the problem and warn you to fix it....Bears aren't relocated any more and there is a 3x strike...it's shot...and if the warnings to clean up what they suggested wasn't heeded ...Someone is going to be going to court any paying a lot $$$$