Pond draining ideas

Although I have done some research into this, I wondered if some of you have any experience with draining a small pond. Some people really recommend not disturbing/cutting into the dike, but using a siphoning system to remove most of the water, perhaps a couple 2 inch diameter pvc or flex hose of some type.. The pond was constructed 60-70 years ago is in real need of a re-dig to get built up sediment over the years.

After water is drained, we endeaver to have contractor come in and clean out/deepen the pond. Thanks for whatever feedback you can give. Pond 200 feet long, 100 feet wide and now about 6 feet deep....the old timers tell me it was 12 feet when originally dug.

Given we have no people available to check on a gasoline powered trash pump, a siphon system seems a viable way to go. Thanks.

A 2 in pump with 5 hp motor will drain that in about 16 hours. I drain my minnow pond ever 2 to 3 years, its only 50 x 70 but 10 ft deep, it takes 8 hours to drain to 1 ft deep. I do it to clean out as many crayfish and minnows, snails, and clams as possible. Siphoning will work but it's much slower.. a couple of pumps with no discharge hose on them will work the fastest, and can run 4 hours or so on a tank.. bigger pumps more gph.. perhaps a combination will work best for you... I'd start buy digging down outflow lower if your having contractor come in and clean his equipment can easily fill back in..

Edited by G-Man

You would still need someone to check the syphon to make sure it's still working.. and a 1 in or 1.5 in water line black pipe is about all you could prolly get to syphon easily.. would take days if it didn't plug with mud ,leaves, ect..

• 2 months later...

You would still need someone to check the syphon to make sure it's still working.. and a 1 in or 1.5 in water line black pipe is about all you could prolly get to syphon easily.. would take days if it didn't plug with mud ,leaves, ect..

I did start a siphon with 2 - 75 foot lengths of 1 inch plastic pipe on July 2nd. A friend will check on siphon in a couple of days. Do not think I will have a plug problem. I stuck the ends of pipe into an old egg crate and covered with some scrap window screening and floated out to spot where it needed to be , then sunk the crate by shooting out the balloon float with 22

• Like 1