Release/follow through

Bowguy 1

Figured while I was at giving a few shooting tips Id talk about release/follow through.

Many folks, especially folks who've only ever shot a release shoot dead hand. Basically they shoot n the hand stays by face. . . Sometimes.

Sometimes they throw hand out, up, etc.

Not the best way for an arrow to find its mark.

Best way is by using back tension, it's very simple. Don't pull the string back w your bicep, push your elbow back, once at a proper anchor (if the bow is too long you can't do this), transfer the weight to your back muscles. If someone is w you they can check your back n feel it tighten. When I was a kid we taped quarters on our spine, if that's necessary to feel the squeeze feel free to try but you should actually be able to just feel the muscles contract.

Now in doing this you transfer weight to large muscles n holding a bow at full draw is simpler.

As you shoot, remember to be pushing elbow back so back muscles squeeze, if shooting fingers roll them off string, your draw hand should find it's way to your shoulder naturally, release-either using same technique, pull/push through the release til it suprise breaks or elongate Palm while holding post on button/hinge and again back tension causes your hand to fly back to your shoulder.

Follow through involves staying with the shot as its executed. Many people want to watch arrow, bad idea leads to low shots.

One way to force yourself to follow through is reaiming as a last step. Keeps your head in the shot n your shooting will improve

Edited by Bowguy 1

I use a button using back tension style release. Fingers, index finger release, etc can/should be shot back tension

I'm looking to change to thumb button release got a few guys I'll try and shoot there's see how I feel with it and determine then. Right now I shoot trigger finger release

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

My youngest daughter shoots an index finger release n at 13 you can see her back tighten n she follows through perfect. My older daughter shoots a stan button. I use carters. Half the time anyway. The other half Im shooting a recurve w fingers. Seems I cant give either up. Love em both

Do yourself a favor n get a good button. Don't go cheapy, there's a giant difference. If your near orange co, I can even let you try a few

No where even kinda close but thank you for the offer...I got a few with real nice ones I'm going to try hopefully this week as I have off all week. I'm not saying I don't have decent form I like to think it's not to bad. Just read that the accuracy can get better with a thumb style....o and my trigger finger one is old and cheap to begin with and has a terrible pull

Well try n look at/shoot the Carter or Stans if you can. It will help but it takes time to resettle in to a new style shooting. You may even need a few adjustments like moving a peep, kisser or sights. Another thing to consider is neck size on release. It can change things too. Many companies have lots of sizes n I'm not sure how long your index finger release is

• Like 1

Well try n look at/shoot the Carter or Stans if you can. It will help but it takes time to resettle in to a new style shooting. You may even need a few adjustments like moving a peep, kisser or sights. Another thing to consider is neck size on release. It can change things too. Many companies have lots of sizes n I'm not sure how long your index finger release is

It's shorter than any others I've found...I actually like the release alot but the trigger is just so horrible...thanks for advise I will check as many as I can out

I'm looking to change to thumb button release got a few guys I'll try and shoot there's see how I feel with it and determine then. Right now I shoot trigger finger release

its a lot different and your anchor points as well as peep height might have to change.  for the purposes of feeling it out it'll take more than a few outings.  don't go cheap and think just because it's handheld it'll be better.  the biggest benefit over an index trigger/wrist strap type is most likely the handheld has a crisper and cleaner breaking trigger.  sometimes you can feel the mechanics moving in an index trigger and it can be nerve racking if you're thinking about it.  most I know just punch or slap the index trigger.  if they're finger is touching the trigger they're letting the arrow fly.

It's shorter than any others I've found...I actually like the release alot but the trigger is just so horrible...thanks for advise I will check as many as I can out

try out the Carter RX series index triggers too.  pull/break is better than most index trigger releases.

you can shoot any release using back tension.  problem is some triggers break cleaner than others and you can't feel the travel or it can be shortened on better ones.  I shoot all them based on what a bow is setup for.  even with handheld releases a little travel is good.  gusts of wind while on stand or other things can make it go off when you don't want to if the travel is too short.  too much travel and hand position might change too much to be comfortable and maintain anchor points.  pulling harder on the string will tighten up the floating of your pin on target while aiming, but too much is a bad thing too.  pulling too hard can tire you out and cause inconsistent left and right shots.  maintaining a right balance of back tension with separate finger/thumb tension on the trigger is what you need to nail down.  practice this at really close range and just get used to making trigger pull a subconscious thought.  just aim at a blank target or huge bullseye.  when shooting if you think about pulling the trigger you're probably screwed.

holding back waiting on a game animal is one thing, but dead focused aiming can only happen for several seconds before your focus and aim degrades.  don't have a link but it's been scientifically proven.  the critter you're aiming at probably won't be standing there for as long or longer either.  just breathe and get the shot off. lol   ... to clarify during shot execution you've already let some of your breathe out and are now probably holding it.

Edited by dbHunterNY

Dbhunter watch George Ryal's you tube video. Shows a new way to use back tension n it takes some getting used to but it even seems to help folks prone to target panic.

definitely enough out there to help an archer deal with target panic.  I think if you shoot enough you'll get some form of it to some minor degree at some point.  that said I don't know why many people just accept and live with it.  I'm pretty good, in the past not so much.  always interested in learning knew stuff though and seeing how it applies to me.  i'll check it out.

I'll also add a good release like a Carter or stan has little to no creep or travel

a lot of good releases you can adjust the travel to next to nothing or a lot.  i think just a little is a good thing and I've got my Stan releases set with a little.

definitely enough out there to help an archer deal with target panic. I think if you shoot enough you'll get some form of it to some minor degree at some point. that said I don't know why many people just accept and live with it. I'm pretty good, in the past not so much. always interested in learning knew stuff though and seeing how it applies to me. i'll check it out.

definitely enough out there to help an archer deal with target panic. I think if you shoot enough you'll get some form of it to some minor degree at some point. that said I don't know why many people just accept and live with it. I'm pretty good, in the past not so much. always interested in learning knew stuff though and seeing how it applies to me. i'll check it out.

Didn't see this earlier. It's his you tube on releases. You can also find it at archery learning center. Instead of pulling through he relaxes hand. Seems to work great n also seems to help those afflicted w problem of target panic