Susky Musky

erussell

It's been tough. I have only gone a couple times and haven't even had a follow. I know a couple other guys that pound it pretty hard and one guy has had only a couple follows and lost one, and the other guy has caught 1.

Weathers not helping out i guess. River started out low and warm which i guess isnt helping either. Ive even tried the fast water and nothing. seems like a 20,000 cast summer instead. Might get my Pa lic. and head over the boarder. lol

• Like 1

smallies had a huge die off last yr after the sppawn. they were floating dead all over the place covered in white slime. dont know what it was but it killed them off pretty bad. use to catcch a tone of huge smallies fishing for musky. got one 22 in summer before the die off.

soooo decided to leave the musky gear at home and go for smallys with my nephew today. about 8pm i casted into a shallow rift and there was a huge swirl. my nephew said boy thats a nice smally. i new better and lightened my drag immediately. slowly reeled the fish toward the shore. it acted like it didnt know it was hooked. about 5 ft from us the fish swam by looked to be around 40 to 45 in ski. then he ran and jumped completely out of the water about 10 ft from us shaking the tiny spinner loose. figures! 100s of dollars in nice musky lures zero fish.1$ cheep spinner 45 in fish go figure

• Like 2

Got a 25 in walleye fishing with a 8in mogombo grub in about 25 ft of water on the chenango today. W as excited when i felt the hit but def didnt feel like a musky. nice fish still not a ski to be found yet tho.

That's a nice one.

Of the 100's of walleye I've caught in the susky & chenango, my biggest 31" was from the chenango.

I gotta ask. Where in the hell did you find 25' of water on the chenango? Old gravel pit(Barjo's)behind Lowe's?

Sent from my LGL16C using Tapatalk

Ahh Barjos, home of the old lick and stick NYS inspection. I miss that place. Took many beaters there back in the day. At least you are catching some fish. Wish I had m ore time to get out this year but doesn't look good right now.

Water is very warm and i didnt want to stress him by handleing him. just took the hook out in the water and released him after measuring. musky shouldnt be handled very much. After release mortality rises the more you handle them especially if its warm. for such a mean fish they are kind of fragile.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey - not trying to highjack this thread, but can you fish for muskies from shore?  

I am a trout fisherman and a friend broke one of my rods and gave me a heavy freshwater rod as a replacement...didn't even need to.  but would love to try muskies in binghampton area, would love to see the look on my sons face reeling in one of those . A friend of mine lets me use his place off of the deposit exit.

thanks in advance for any help, greatly appreciated.  Bruce

Yes from shore is good. You'll want to use big baits like inline spinners buzzbaits, zara spook, etc. Dawn & dusk are good times. Tread lightly because they'll sometimes lay along the shoreline. I like to locate them with a buzzbait and a fast retrieve. Once they boil underneath it I will switch to a different lure and use more finesse.
Anywhere west of Binghamton can be good for muskies