Asking Permission

bartman9

22 minutes ago, jjb4900 said:

I could see someone wanting to use one on heavily hunted public land as a safety thing.........up out of the line of fire so to speak.

Oh, I agree 100%. If I wasn't afraid of heights these days I would have a climber for sure. I just don't think having a tree stand is better or worse on public or private land. Deer get killed on both with stands. 

Oh, I agree 100%. If I wasn't afraid of heights these days I would have a climber for sure. I just don't think having a tree stand is better or worse on public or private land. Deer get killed on both with stands. 

I only think stands make a difference in bow season public or private. Especially climbers with their mobility

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

I only think stands make a difference in bow season public or private. Especially climbers with their mobility

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

That's a good point. Many feel that if you are gun hunting and are shooting 100 yards motion isn't a big deal. I would always rather be shooting slightly down at game with a rifle. That's just me. 

Climbers are not really that versitile. 90% of where I hunt the trees are too limby, it's to thick, the tree isn't big enough, there is no tree, the only tree that a climber could go in is too far for a shot. I've killed many deer from stands but my biggest have been from the ground in a "line of fire" to much emphasis on stand from tv shows. I'd rather see a deer at 30 yards on the ground then watch one at 300 from a stand. 

So back to your post when asking permission, telling a land owner the method your goijg to use may get you a no or yes, many.land owners have valuable timber and do not want you scuffing up trees or limbing them out, or putting screw in steps in them.hunting from the ground may be your ticket in ,and  Do yourself a favor and learn to identify types of trees do when you get permission and the owner says I don't want you in / or cutting any black cherry or white oak, you know what he's talking about.a

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, ....rob said:

Um, no. Tree stands were designed ( even back when they were just boards nailed to a tree and a few 2x4 nestled in the crotch of a tree ) to get better sight line of incoming game, and get your scent up and hopefully away from deer. The use of them has nothing to do with private or public land. 

Considering public land is, well, public, the odds of somebody walking by your stand and subsequently snatching it seem to me to be substantially higher on public than private land. That was what I was getting at...