Has anyone other than me grown...

Iron clay cow peas  or hemp in your food plots? I have to tell you I'm pleased with the results thus far. The deer have kept the hemp nipped to no taller than 2-3 feet and the cowpeas to 1-2 feet...but both have readily regrown...even with the earlier drought we had...I had areas that the seed didn't germinate and the ground was bare...it rained a month after planting and Now the field is full and lush..with more young plants STILL emerging from the soil. Those areas were mainly along the tree line ..where tree roots steal moisture. With 25-38 % protein levels between the two and the fact that they both fix nitrogen,  it's a good summer time plot...also they have kept the deer off the field peas which are now as tall as the hemp...The only problem I have in the plots are weeds I have later summer annual weeds that are just relentless. both in plots and my garden...the more I weed the garden the faster the emerge from the ground literally with seed heads developed... :rolleyes:

Next year if my equipment lets me, lol.. i will be planting both.. just not sure in what sort of blend yet. I have heard a lot of good about both along with a few others. I want to focus more on summer time foods in one of my big plots, next year and years following. Its something i do not have much of, neither do the neighbors,(we all usually ficus on winter foods, which isnt a horrible thing) and the farmers(especially this year with severe drought) there is no good summer food besides the natural forage, and even in a drought, they wont perform as good as can be. 

I planted iron clay cow peas and lab lab with a little sorghum mixed in this spring. Drought and heavy grazing pretty much wiped it completely out before it was a foot tall. I had about 2 acres of it planted and the deer mowed it right over. I think if we had normal rain fall amounts my plot would have done much better but right now it looks like a barren wasteland. I actually just went over it and nuked it with Gly about 10-12 days ago. So now it really looks bare lol.

Going to broadcast some daikon radishes and winter wheat this up coming week. Probably get some more clover put down as well. This summers drought really put the hurt on everyone's food plots it seems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's my lower plot...problem is NOW the sorghum and beans are growing but the grass and weeds have over whelmed them...I reALLY DO NOT WANT TO SPRAY TAN NOW mR b IS WANTING THE DISC OF  TO DO SOME THINGS...i KNOW HIM ONCE OFF IT WON'T GO BACK ON UNTIL SPRING...SO HOPING TO MOW EVERYTHING DOWN AND JUST DISC IT AND PLANT TUNIPS/ww...Sorry cap locks...not redoing post...