ARES Defence 5 in 7.6 x 39

I'm looking to get a new semi-auto rifle and I came across the ARES Defense 5 in 7.6 x 39.

I've read several reviews which say it shoots just like an AR15 but without the bells and whistles and it looks like a standard semi auto rifle. 

Anyone have experience with this rifle? 

Thanks.

DT

WesiteHeaderProduct_Ares-SCR.jpg

I have an SCR, chambered in 5.56/.223.  I love it.  Its fun to shoot and super lightweight.  It does NOT come with open sights, but Ares sells them via their website.  Or you could mount an optic on the provided rail.  The upper is basically a standard AR upper, but you have to use the Ares bolt carrier group, as they use a different buffer system than a regular AR.  It takes standard AR magazines.  Mine came with a 5 round magaziine.  Its a fine rifle as far as fit and finish, zero complaints there, it was pretty oily from the factory, so a strip down and "clean" was needed.  I'd say go for it.  Plus if you buy or have a different calliber upper, you can swap it out as long as the BCG works with both uppers(Ares could verify this for you).  Go for it.

Thanks for your review. Would you suggest starting out with the 556 or the 7.6? I'd also like to use it for whitetail in addition to just range shooting. Are either chambers strong enough to put down deer?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Either round is capable of killing deer with good shot placement.

However, the .223 is basically a varmint caliber that can be used effectively on deer, but it has its limitations.

The 7.62 x39 is a .30 caliber cartridge with energy levels similar to a 30-30 win.  For  deer hunting it is definitely a better choice.

• Like 1

As a owner of a Benneli R1 "top 5 ugliest rifles of all time" I have to say that is one ugly rifle. But it looks very functional. I would opt for the 7.62x39 if deer hunting is on its agenda. That sucker is a sweet Carbine with the barrel cut down to 16.25"s and it's only 5.25lb's that's a gun from my own heart!

I'm currently googling if there is a 35cal wildcat based on 7.62x39.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I hear you, Stubby...

It's a moot point with me...I don't do a lot of steep hills anymore, and when I do, I do them very SLOWLY....

I can still get to the top of the mountain, but it takes me a lot longer...<<sigh>>......

It doesn't seem like all that many years I was carrying heavy loads of moose, caribou and elk up and down hill in Alaska and some other  totally awesome places..

Damn near killed me then, and I was in the best shape of my life.

I nearly get a heart attack nowadays just THINKING about it...

• Like 1

I hear you, Stubby...

It's a moot point with me...I don't do a lot of steep hills anymore, and when I do, I do them very SLOWLY....

I can still get to the top of the mountain, but it takes me a lot longer...>......

It doesn't seem like all that many years I was carrying heavy loads of moose, caribou and elk up and down hill in Alaska and some other  totally awesome places..

Damn near killed me then, and I was in the best shape of my life.

I nearly get a heart attack nowadays just THINKING about it...

What I would give to have been a fly on your shoulder!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I agree that it is an ugly rifle out of the box.  I changed the handguard to a longer one, and added offset sights with a Nikon scope, and I think it prettied it up some.

IMG_4054.JPG

That actually looks moderately cool!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• 5 weeks later...

So yesterday on my way home I stopped off at Campsite Sportshop in Huntington Station to look at the ARES. 

They also had an M1A  Scout and Socom with a shorter barrel. Both were very very nice solid firearms but way too heavy for my liking. They were also north of $1800 each. 

So after hemming and hawing and asking questions about the ARES, I found out that they had a generation 2 in 6.8 spec (which is not made by ARES) with the sporter's stock, the lighter poundage trigger, a standard AR charging handle and a 16" full length hand guard. They swapped out the factory 223/556 caliber and installed the 6.8 spec at the shop. I also learned that the 7.62 is not being manufactured yet. 

So after some negotiations, I got them to throw in a bolt catch ($40) and also having them mount and bore site my Trueglo red-dot scope all for just south of $1300.  I am picking it up tomorrow and can't wait to take it to the range. I will take and post pics this weekend. 

• Like 4

Picked up my new toy.

a4719d13de1105f9bbf7d9c0267992e3.jpg

c96a1d86018bd7d86ac6b69c85fb9772.jpg

They mounted my scope and gave me a hard case for my new toy.

Shout out to Mike at Campsite who is very knowledgeable about firearms. I had a great experience and I plan on doing all my gun related shopping there from now on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

• Like 3