Hunting the Catskills area

Redcreek5

Hello fellow hunters my name is john, I am a lurker here for sometime. Being a long time white tail hunter in upstate NY has been great but recently I have been wanting to hunt bear..

Everything I read suggest the Catskills would be my best bet, but I don't know the area or if I can just hunt any parks / state land with out spacial permission. If anyone could please point me in the right direction that would be great.

i would like something with a creek or water so I can kayak up and get away from other hunters if possible. I would be doing stalk and hunt with a friend. Any advice would be great, it's a long ride Down so I only could make one trip this year. Thank you 

Thanks everyone for the replies. After looking at Dec harvest reports and Google maps I was thinking of a place called sundown. Looks like it's east of little pond . After your reply jjb4900 I will be  calling little pond campground this week.

Should be a good time just to get in the woods with a firearm and the possibility of seeing big game. Goose opened up here the other day and its been a bust so far. 

Yes just a day trip, Google maps is showing 4 hours down. We will leave around midnight and try to eat on the way. 

Big Pond is just down the road from Little Pond, you can paddle across the lake if you want, but it's not that big.........my cousin took a nice bear by Big Pond a few years back, also Look at Alder Lake, that's right in that same area and gives you a chance to use the Kayak..but again not a super big body of water.