Sterling Forest

Any of you guys hunt sterling for pheasant?  I looked on google maps but couldn't identify any fields.  Do you need a park permit for small game?  Any other tips are appreciated.  Thanks

If you intend to hunt pheasant only, you need the free permit from the office.

If you intend to hunt anything other than pheasants, you'll need to pay the $5 permit fee at the office.

6 minutes ago, shawnhu said:

If you intend to hunt pheasant only, you need the free permit from the office.

If you intend to hunt anything other than pheasants, you'll need to pay the $5 permit fee at the office.

Just interested in birds.  The office is on the grounds I assume. Or do I  print one out online?   As far as birds.  Are the fields obvious?   Ive never been thats why im asking.  Pm me if you want. 

Just interested in birds.  The office is on the grounds I assume. Or do I  print one out online?   As far as birds.  Are the fields obvious?   Ive never been thats why im asking.  Pm me if you want. 

I don't hunt pheasant at Sterling, but know that the permit can either be mailed to you, or picked up in person. The office is in the forest so you can do it in the morning then hunt.

I only hunted at Indian Hill in Sterling Forest for Pheasant.  Last year, never found or heard any, and the fields there there are getting very overgrown with briars and blackberry (so yes there are bears there too).

Have gotten a couple birds there in the past.  Never tried Laurel Meadows.

FYI, I solo hunt without a bird-dog, but I did meet up with another hunter last year and we found nothing with his dog running through there.

With Sterling Forest trying an early small game season this year(trial basis) in that area, perhaps it will be stocked this year.

6 hours ago, diplomat019 said:

My time is limited so I was trying to figure out f it would be worth it to go there since its closest to me.  But after some feedback and research I think l take a further trip to some areas I'm more familiar with.  Thanks for the replies fellas

I went there for the first time a few weeks ago got  the permit  looked around I don't really like the terrain much to be honest.  Compared to other places I go to .