Spitzer bullet for hunting anybody use them for deer

LJC

Spitzer bullet for hunting anybody use them for deer .

Never hunted with anything but Np

And sp  bullets .

I noticed in the cal I shoot the spitzers are Alot cheeper was wondering if anyone here  deer hunts with them and how did they ProForm 

For me this is about terminology, I have always understood the term "spitzer" when applied to hunting bullets as a loose description of all bullets that have a pointed front. The composition of the point be it a ballistic tip, hollow point or pointed soft point really does not matter, if it is pointed the term spitzer in many cases is applied by some manufacturers. As far as using them for Deer hunting almost all Deer I have killed with a rifle have been taken with pointed-spitzer expanding type bullets. 

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

If I'm not mistaken the Hornady SST bullets are spitzers with ballistic tips. My wife's .243 loves then the .270 will put 3 inside an 1", the .222 throws them out to 200 inside an 1". I have killed deer with them but the .270 likes the boattails better. I tried boattails in the .243 there wasn't a notable difference so I stick with the cheaper Spitzer bullets.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, airedale said:

For me this is about terminology, I have always understood the term "spitzer" when applied to hunting bullets as a loose description of all bullets that have a pointed front. The composition of the point be it a ballistic tip, hollow point or pointed soft point really does not matter, if it is pointed the term spitzer in many cases is applied by some manufacturers. As far as using them for Deer hunting almost all Deer I have killed with a rifle have been taken with pointed-spitzer type bullets.

Al

Right you are, Al. Spitzer is basically the German word for 'point". Among other possible bullet configurations would be flat-nose, round-nose, and maybe a few others. What we're looking for is a bullet that is consistently accurate and that will both penetrate and expand to get the most effective kill.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, airedale said:

For me this is about terminology, I have always understood the term "spitzer" when applied to hunting bullets as a loose description of all bullets that have a pointed front. The composition of the point be it a ballistic tip, hollow point or pointed soft point really does not matter, if it is pointed the term spitzer in many cases is applied by some manufacturers. As far as using them for Deer hunting almost all Deer I have killed with a rifle have been taken with pointed-spitzer type bullets.

Al

Ok thanks ,  I just noticed the term spitzer used on this box of weatherby ammo . That's like half of what the Soft point and Nosler partition bullets go for looked around saw  reviews looks  good for deer on them . $39 vers $60 $80 a box is a big difference . Was not sure though 

Weatherby 257 mag . 

Ok thanks ,  I just noticed the term spitzer used on this box of weatherby ammo . That's like half of what the Soft point and Nosler partition bullets go for looked around saw  reviews looks  good for deer on them . $39 vers $60 $80 a box is a big difference . Was not sure though 
Weatherby 257 mag . 

Have you ever considered reloading? If you shoot much at all it would pay for itself pretty quickly. Or like most of us that reload we don't save any money because we just shoot more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Yea I thought about it but that rifle I  only use   for hunting  I don't use it much 

I got plenty of  other rifle calibers  to play with  that don't cost a arm and a leg to shoot  at the range if I want to .

Have you ever considered reloading? If you shoot much at all it would pay for itself pretty quickly. Or like most of us that reload we don't save any money because we just shoot more.

Sent from my iPhone using