Anyone hunt Alabama?

ANTLERS

So my buddy's talked me into going to Alabama in January for their gun season. It's at a lodge in south east Alabama and it's the last week  of the season. My first hesitation is the lateness of the season, but we're told it's a good time to go because the rut down there doesn't hit peak till mid January. Any thoughts? 

• Like 1

So my buddy's talked me into going to Alabama in January for their gun season. It's at a lodge in south east Alabama and it's the last week  of the season. My first hesitation is the lateness of the season, but we're told it's a good time to go because the rut down there doesn't hit peak till mid January. Any thoughts? 

Always been interested in that or SC. Good luck. Who u hunting with? Waccamaw in SC has always been a place I thought about booking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oak ridge lodge, their late season hunt, dec 25-Jan 31, is more expensive then the early season. They say January is the peak time to hunt do to the rut. Plus there's hogs available, they start baiting a few days before we arrive.

Cool, good luck! Look forward to hearing full report in Jan.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
I hunted two times in Alabama and it was a good time. No outfitter, just a private owner who's sadly is now deceased.  RIP Walter..........

Does Walter have kids with the same land? Those are usually the best deals. In the early 90s my dad got skunked/ripped off on a cheaper 3 day muley hunt in Wyoming- didn't see anything. He found a local taxidermist walked in and started talking to the guy. Met a young guy in there who took him out for a couple of hundred bucks on his farm and my dad shot a nice 3x4

On 2/7/2017 at 0:04 PM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Did you go on this trip? if so, how was it?

Well 8 of us spent 4 days in Barbour county, which has some of the best genetics in the country in a state that has the second highest density of deer next to Texas, and saw almost nothing. Usually the temps are low 40's at night and around 50 during the day and because the temp went up to 75 this week, the deer shut down. I saw 2 tails at sunset on Sunday and that's it for the week.  It's amazing how a warm spell can  change their patterns. The deer are definitely there, tracks and rubs everywhere, but without a reason to move they don't. So all 8 of us are coming home empty handed, and the outfitter admitted that it's been a below average season. The severe drought and wacky temp changes has got them all off kilter. 

30 minutes ago, ANTLERS said:

Well 8 of us spent 4 days in Barbour county, which has some of the best genetics in the country in a state that has the second highest density of deer next to Texas, and saw almost nothing. Usually the temps are low 40's at night and around 50 during the day and because the temp went up to 75 this week, the deer shut down. I saw 2 tails at sunset on Sunday and that's it for the week.  It's amazing how a warm spell can  change their patterns. The deer are definitely there, tracks and rubs everywhere, but without a reason to move they don't. So all 8 of us are coming home empty handed, and the outfitter admitted that it's been a below average season. The severe drought and wacky temp changes has got them all off kilter. 

Ugh, that sucks :(

Damn. It happens. Maybe a return trip at a discounted rate?

On February 9, 2017 at 9:11 AM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Damn. It happens. Maybe a return trip at a discounted rate?

I would accept it if offered, Buy in reality, Weather I was successful or not I don't think Im paying to go for white tails again, Not when I can take big bucks on LI or upstate.

12 minutes ago, ANTLERS said:

I would accept it if offered, Buy in reality, Weather I was successful or not I don't think Im paying to go for white tails again, Not when I can take big bucks on LI or upstate.

I agree, I did an Illinois hunt a few yrs. ago for $$$ , saw deer but no shots. Came home & hunted a week later & shot my  2 biggest bucks ever to date a week  apart with in an hour from home.