New hang on plans

So  lots of work equals lots of thinking...I want a couple of more spots near the swamp..but theft is a real possibility. I Have a V maple that will work great right where I want it. I want the least wood possible with most room. So a 2x6 at right height above the spit 4washers and 4 big wood screws to attach to each section of V 2hangers for 2x6 to hold platform. 2 lengths of chain and 4 large eye bolts,2 screw ins for the tree and 2 with nuts and washers. 2x4' s to finish deck frame and to make a bench between V split...I can gather enough scraps of or wood and hangers and chains arent much...4 c links to much attach chains through eye hooks..It won't be able o be stolen,and will cost less than a purchased stand and way bigger than any I could buy.

I never used the chain b/c i never thought of it. not a bad idea, but id be nervous or tree snapping off somewhere above that point in rela strong winds.., but i did use screw in tree steps (left in the upside down position) for support and to act as a "slide or rail" in case tree movement broke the lag bolts i used to attach frame to tree. 

24 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

I never used the chain b/c i never thought of it. not a bad idea, but id be nervous or tree snapping off somewhere above that point in rela strong winds.., but i did use screw in tree steps (left in the upside down position) for support and to act as a "slide or rail" in case tree movement broke the lag bolts i used to attach frame to tree. 

I was thinking the same concept when I thought about building a platform between 3 limbs.

Well I'm still here...just got done with another 40 min Amazon issue WTH!..They need an IT overhaul....

So there are 2 different types of V tress one being and actual V which is unstable in the wind due to being more vulnerable to wind shear. Then there is the good U type where you have a bit of a saddle of sorts...this is much more stable.. These are the types I use and the ones I will allow to continue growing when thinning timber...They can actually add fair amount of clean board footage.

Here is a picture of one such stand I actually have 2 of these I build..one independent and the other as the one I described... Wind has little to no effect on them and these have been in place for years..

This picture shows the independent one...that I strapped and chained to a tree. The support chains for deck go back to the seat back support not the tree it's self... So it actually can be moved...though I won't It's a great spot.the 2 deer in second pic are standing under that stand.

8pt SBP10-21-14.JPG

WGI_0009.JPG

Edited by growalot

I went out tried working but Amazon delivered me something I haven't had in a very long time   A migraine. I felt it coming on and it hasn't hit it's peak yet...though a good heaving would feel great right now and I'm having a difficult time seeing these keys. That said took some fence,blind and stand pics will post the stands before trying to go sleep this off...took pics of how I do them now and how I use to do them...much more wood involved and more noticeable...but that stand is one I put up 2 years before our son,31 this year, took his first deer in bow at 13yrs old. So around 20yrs old

IMG_1992.JPG

IMG_1971.JPG

IMG_1970.JPG

IMG_1994.JPG

IMG_1993.JPG