Backpack overnight hunt

sodfather

I know this is a few weeks getting back, but here's a few other tips.

Seeing you have a canoe and are leaning that way, I would still suggest a 3-season tent. Just for the extra room for gear.  I really would get one that you can put a cot in just to keep you well off the ground. Take an extra blanket, fold it up, and put that between the cot and your sleeping bag. It will help with warmth on the really chilly/cold nights.

If you go with a smaller tent, I would still make sure you have room for gear. Here's a huge tip! If you go with an inflatable air mattress or sleeping pad, get an air pump! Trying to use your own breath to blow them up in cold temps isn't a good idea. The warm air from your lungs will cause the air inside the mattress or pad to freeze up due to the moisture content.

No matter what you decide on, make sure people know where you are, take the precautions for safety, and enjoy your hunt! Let us know where you went and how you made out! Good luck!.

46 minutes ago, ....rob said:

I know this is a few weeks getting back, but here's a few other tips.

Seeing you have a canoe and are leaning that way, I would still suggest a 3-season tent. Just for the extra room for gear.  I really would get one that you can put a cot in just to keep you well off the ground. Take an extra blanket, fold it up, and put that between the cot and your sleeping bag. It will help with warmth on the really chilly/cold nights.

If you go with a smaller tent, I would still make sure you have room for gear. Here's a huge tip! If you go with an inflatable air mattress or sleeping pad, get an air pump! Trying to use your own breath to blow them up in cold temps isn't a good idea. The warm air from your lungs will cause the air inside the mattress or pad to freeze up due to the moisture content.

No matter what you decide on, make sure people know where you are, take the precautions for safety, and enjoy your hunt! Let us know where you went and how you made out! Good luck!.

Great tips rob.........you must have quite a few trips under your belt!

Tell me about your gear list; specifically your tent, sleeping pad/bag combo or cot.  Backpack or canoe for you?

On 2/27/2017 at 10:48 PM, Lawdwaz said:

Great tips rob.........you must have quite a few trips under your belt!

Tell me about your gear list; specifically your tent, sleeping pad/bag combo or cot.  Backpack or canoe for you?

Guessing another brow beating. But here goes anyway...

Not sure whats so hard to get that I didn't hunt for many years,, but still did a ton of camping, in car sites and the woods/back country. Even nights with just a tarp under the bag to keep dampness out of the bag, a-frame shelters from a tarp, and a few times just a lean two set up with tarps. I even tried a hammock set up once, I hated that!

The gear associated with back country camping will be the same gear you need for hunting. The only exception is you will be carrying a bow or gun.

Do you need every tent, sleeping bag, I have ever used? Sorry, can't recall all of them, it was always what I could afford, so Coleman , Texsport, Ozark Trail ETC. My pack was a Med. ALICE pack with a frame I bought at a used military gear place, it was heavy as hell and cumbersome, but I made due with it.

I cant carry all that crap on my back anymore, so a few years ago, I bought a quad to haul gear with on private land. That's when I altered my gear list to be a of a more comfortable camping style, like boating in:

- Don't use this anymore, but my backpacking tent is a Texsport 2 Person Camo Trail Tent ( a cheapy pup tent )

- Sleeping pad that I don't use anymore is a basic foam pad.

- Current tent, I would not recommend for cold weather, Texsport Headquarters Camo 9x9 dome. Enough room for two cots and gear full gear, but I wouldn't suggest using a heater in it. It's actually only two season.

- Current cot, Ozark Trail Aluminum Cot. I chose this because it has rounded legs and would be better for a basic tent floor. I was right and wrong, I still needed to put a blanket on the floor of the tent with the sides rolld up a bit because I don't sleep like a log, I toss and turn a lot, and after one tip over, the blanket was put on the floor to keep that from happening again.

- Current Sleeping bag, a Coleman straight bag ( meaning not mummy style ) rated to 20 degress. 

- Current Mess Kit, an old Coleman stainless, had this for about 17 years, got it using 'Marlboro Miles'. Has stood the test of time pretty well.

- Current Hatchet, Coleman Camp Axe.

- Current Knife, whatever I decide to take 4 of. Same with flashlights.

- Current cooking stove ( if we don't just use the fire ), Ozark Trail Single Burner Camp Stove.

- Current method to start a fire, always keep a few Bics around, and dryer lint works real well.

Not sure, when, but I learned about the dryer lint, and making lint/cotton ball coated in wax fire starters. I do remember it was way before I had Internet access. I learned that from a library. Remember those?

The not puffing your own breath into an air mattress I learned while looking up if an air mattress or cot was preferred. Those who were going minimalist used those lightweight air mattresses, said they learned using your own lungs to inflate the mat would cause moisture to form inside the mattress, leading it to freeze up. If you think about it, that makes sense in cold weather.

20 minutes ago, ....rob said:

Guessing another brow beating. But here goes anyway...

Not sure whats so hard to get that I didn't hunt for many years,, but still did a ton of camping, in car sites and the woods/back country. Even nights with just a tarp under the bag to keep dampness out of the bag, a-frame shelters from a tarp, and a few times just a lean two set up with tarps. I even tried a hammock set up once, I hated that!

The gear associated with back country camping will be the same gear you need for hunting. The only exception is you will be carrying a bow or gun.

Do you need every tent, sleeping bag, I have ever used? Sorry, can't recall all of them, it was always what I could afford, so Coleman , Texsport, Ozark Trail ETC. My pack was a Med. ALICE pack with a frame I bought at a used military gear place, it was heavy as hell and cumbersome, but I made due with it.

I cant carry all that crap on my back anymore, so a few years ago, I bought a quad to haul gear with on private land. That's when I altered my gear list to be a of a more comfortable camping style, like boating in:

- Don't use this anymore, but my backpacking tent is a Texsport 2 Person Camo Trail Tent ( a cheapy pup tent )

- Sleeping pad that I don't use anymore is a basic foam pad.

- Current tent, I would not recommend for cold weather, Texsport Headquarters Camo 9x9 dome. Enough room for two cots and gear full gear, but I wouldn't suggest using a heater in it. It's actually only two season.

- Current cot, Ozark Trail Aluminum Cot. I chose this because it has rounded legs and would be better for a basic tent floor. I was right and wrong, I still needed to put a blanket on the floor of the tent with the sides rolld up a bit because I don't sleep like a log, I toss and turn a lot, and after one tip over, the blanket was put on the floor to keep that from happening again.

- Current Sleeping bag, a Coleman straight bag ( meaning not mummy style ) rated to 20 degress. 

- Current Mess Kit, an old Coleman stainless, had this for about 17 years, got it using 'Marlboro Miles'. Has stood the test of time pretty well.

- Current Hatchet, Coleman Camp Axe.

- Current Knife, whatever I decide to take 4 of. Same with flashlights.

- Current cooking stove ( if we don't just use the fire ), Ozark Trail Single Burner Camp Stove.

- Current method to start a fire, always keep a few Bics around, and dryer lint works real well.

Not sure, when, but I learned about the dryer lint, and making lint/cotton ball coated in wax fire starters. I do remember it was way before I had Internet access. I learned that from a library. Remember those?

The not puffing your own breath into an air mattress I learned while looking up if an air mattress or cot was preferred. Those who were going minimalist used those lightweight air mattresses, said they learned using your own lungs to inflate the mat would cause moisture to form inside the mattress, leading it to freeze up. If you think about it, that makes sense in cold weather.

No implications on hunting, just didn't realize you were such an avid camper.