A large flock...

growalot

We have a couple of different flocks Bill and yes, I'm very pleased with the #'s thus far. though pup rearing season is nearing and I do find wings and legs around the place each spring summer. usually up here on the ridge for some reason...I have no dens in that area. That is where I found the dead Fisher last year though and a lot of raccoon trees.

I'm hoping that last years poults produced some Jakes in good #'s. We don't have all that many Toms considering the size of the flocks...last year there were some nice Jake #'s. We have nearly as many turkey hunters here as we do deer. That is the one hunter that my no doe hunting neighbor will allow other than her son, friends hunts turkey.

I am curious as to what the flocks will look like ...we have never had them here during the winter. So are these a new grouping or did they forego the trip down to the valley all together? How much more of an increase will we see come late March /April. I believe the farmer having his late oats and the farm next to him putting in those beans had a big impact on the flock last year. I know they have a rather large hay field to nest in,but I'm not too sure he much cares when the turkey nest when it comes to cutting it...He cuts is a few times a year for his beef. The beans are in a cover crop. This may or may not be a plow down ..it was in corn for many many years until last year. Fun watching things unfold.

• Like 1