Towing

Doewhacker

What does every one tow with, we have a 2009 Suburban 1/2 ton with the tow package. I would have to say I don't have anything else to compare it to, but it tow's very well. I went up and down some real steep grades last year on our trip to the north and never had any issues. The engine braking on the downhill's was odd to me at first but once I realized everything was ok I was less worried we were gonna blow up, haha.

The total tow rating is 8400 pounds on the bus as we call it but we went with an ultra light camper so's not to over work the truck, the camper weigh's in at 5400 pounds, plus hitch and gear. The only thing I will change are the tires, the bus comes with Passenger tires to soften up the ride and when its time for new I am going for Light truck tires. This will help with the feeling of sway I get when the wind blows me and the camper around. I got to know that feeling real good when we went to costal Mass. last year and drove through the remnants of a hurricane for 3 of the 4 hours...talk about white knuckle driving... ???

towing with the old 98 Cherokee

Old?!?

I have a 99, with a class II hitch. It's wheelbase is an advantage but yeah, not for towing. Normally I use a small utility trailer about a 1/2 ton. Pulling the 2500lb. camper was a different ball game. When I need to move it again it'll do the job, but it's nothing I'd want to do on a reg. basis.

Was using an F350 deisel, I won't tow with the 6cyl Mountaineer. I do have a Reese weight distributing hitch, it just has too many miles. I'm currently working on something, but in the meantime I can use a relatives Ranger. Our trailer has different weights on the registration than the sticker in the cabinet.

I have always towed with P/U truck, I had a '80 Chev 1/2 ton 4wd, then a '96 Dodge Ram 1500 4wd and now '05 Dodge Ram 1500 4wd (Rumble Bee w/hemi).

Doewhacker, if you are having some sway problems, I would recommend investing in a anti-sway bar system to eliminate that and also help transfer the tongue weight between the tow vehicle and the camper to eliminate the bounce that comes with towing as well.

FDXX75

Thanks for the advice, I actually went for the heavier duty sway system when we bought the camper last year. I have a dual cam sway and a weight distribution hitch on it, and I am so glad I upgraded from the el-cheapo stuff that they give you as the package deal. I can only imagine what it would be like with the lighter duty sway system.

You have to pay attention to how you have the weight loaded in the camper too, too much behind the axles and you can get sway problems. Also, make sure your water tanks are either completely empty or completely full. If the water is swishing around in the tank from side to side, it can magnify sway.

I've only got my 03 Ranger.  It's got the 4.0L 6 and towing package.  I'm good to about 5200lbs.  I wired up the electric brake controller so I could tow my camper.

It's not going to win and races, but it got me up to the 1000 islands with the cruise set at 65mph.  My father-in-law also uses it to haul his boat around (about 4800lbs), but those are now short trips at the river, after he hauled it up there from Sodus Bay.

post-2036-131455428292_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

You will be over the limit Elmer, 4 people, gear and the hitch are not figured into the tow rating for vehicles. The sticker on the camper is the correct one for weight, and again that does not include the hitch weght, basically you could add on a couple thousand pounds real easy. Thats not saying the vehicle won't tow it, it just will work extra hard and cause wear and tear on it which in turn will cause problems.

Usually they firgure tow ratings and weight with a light weight driver and less than full tanks of gas so as to maximize the numbers, Ford and Chevu may say you can tow 11000 pounds with a half ton but I would not attempt it, thats just me though.

• 1 month later...

Had a '97 Suburban; it was the finest tow vehicle I've ever used.  It would smoothly hold speed with our trailer even on hills on Rt. 90 or 81 and on through the Adirondacks.  No problems in wind or foul weather.  I didn't feel I could justify the additional cost vs. a crew cab pick-up when I got a new vehicle.  But, my 2005 GMC Sierra can't hold a candle to the quality and towing ability of the Suburban.  In retrospect, I may have had fewer problems with the old vehicle than I have had with my newer truck.