Under the roost

Jimmylugz

Here's the deal, found out EXACTLY where these turkeys roost, hens gobblers and all. Problem is they are along this mountain side real rocky, I saw them land at this nice little flat area up top. Climbed it the other day, I'm going Thursday, should I sneak up and around and set my decoy and hide my ass behind a rock? Don't want to make a ton of noise and scare them off.. any help appreciated 

Like The Real Tc mentioned. Wouldn't set up too close. Too many things can go wrong. I'd head down the hill as they'll pitch downhill and probably work their way back up. Head to the bottom , set up a deke , give them some sweet soft tree talk and wait to see what they do after they hit the ground. Play it by ear so to speak on your next move. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I will go against the grain, and say I would try and get to where you think they first land, if you can get up there early enough without busting them out of the tree, I'd skip the decoy if you are hunting in the woods; that would be Plan A.

Plan B would be (since turkeys DON'T always sleep or fly down in the same spot every night), be ready to move once they fly down. You didn't mention which way they go once they have landed, but I'd be ready to try getting there ASAP without being spotted. It's a little easier now that the trees are leafed-out.

• Like 1

Sorry totally forgot. So hard to explain, behind said hill is a large gap, power lines, then other woods on the other side of that. Opposite direction are just rocks and more hill and woods. I've physically watched them land, and they land on the hilltop I'm speaking of, then make their way across the gap somewhere. I've hunted across that gap 2-3 times and have never had them come close to me, it's as if they fly directly deep into those woods and disappear. 

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Where do they head from that landing area? I wouldn't get too close, it takes away a lot of options when you're pinned down like that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both directions, cuz I've heard them across the clearing (where I've been trying to get em) and the opposite direction (went to that hilltop round 8am the other day and had em gobbling from the other direction) 

now far below this hill in the middle of the creek bed is a hiking trail and a rocky creek between the hill and the power lines. 

Got a ridge that they always roost on in our woods. Never changes every year same spot. They roost just down the east side and always pitch down to top of ridge. After that it is a cap shoot as to where they head. The ridge runs from a field on north end to a deep gully on south. They roost halfway between field and gully. Always land in same area on ridge then it is north or south. I get in and set up in the landing area no decoy just talk to them my till they fly down then pop on when they hit the ground. Only do this when just want to kill a bird for dinner though. Not much of a challenge to it. They have used this ridge the same way every year since my dad was young.

When I want to actually hunt a bird I go to different spot and call. Love hearing them gobble and see them strut sometimes I will just bring them in and watch them do there thing till they wonder off.

All that being said. If you just want to kill one of them get into landing area early and quiet. Leave the decoy at home. Talk to them a little to let them know you are there. And to hear that sweet music. Wait for pitch down and drop a bird. Good luck.

• Like 3