Anybody have any advice for getting a GPS to use for hunting?  I never used one or owned one before.  I am not looking to spend $300-$400 on one.  Basically, just want something pretty basic but works.  I really just want it to save where I parked my car, so I am asure to get back to it.  I will be using in a big State Forest in PA, and a State Forest in NJ.  My thinking is that I can save my parked car as a "waypoint"? and then walk into the woods and hunt, and know I can get back to my car, ok.

Thanks in advance.

Several years back I used the bottom line Magellan hand-held GPS.

It was OK for what I expected out of it.

Upgraded a couple years ago to a Garmin hand-held GPSMAP 60CSX.

Has a larger viewing screen, colors and updated mapping software.

Both GPS units functioned well, the Garmin was more expensive and a little more accurate.

Also with the extra expense, you get more bells & whistles you probably will never use.

The best feature of both units, but more so the Garmin was the mapping software.

When you park your vehicle and head to a hunting spot, you'll set waypoints along the way.

Like leaving breadcrumbs along a path to find your way back.

On a hand-held 2-3" screen, points get cluttered, trails or routes are difficult to see.

Zoom in and you lose the overall larger map view.

This is fine if you are letting the GPS lead you to/from a spot.

If you want the big view of your area, the mapping software is great.

USP connections communicate with your PC & the GPS unit.

Your PC can print-out larger maps for viewing showing stand locations, deer sightings, landmarks, etc.

A lot of GPS reviews on the web, take them at face value.

Some real hard-core GPS users give bad reviews to units that function well for the casual user.

Nothing wrong with a used GPS, be warned that older units are NOT supported in new PC operating systems.

Which basically disables any mapping capabilities or interfacing with the unit & PC.

Like any other electronic gizmo, you pay for the bells & whistles.

I have had a couple of the regular units and being of a different generation then the tech world.Soon to be 52 just recently purchased a Backtrack 5 and find it user friendly and very accurate. My purpose was for bird hunting with my dog in unfamiliar areas. The thing worked awesome. I would say for what you want to do a Backtrack 3 would be great. Either one in my eyes inexpensive & worked. Simple to use. 

I had the old Magellan 38. Reception was so-so, but so simple to use, I loved it. I have the Etrex something (summit or vista) now, and it's too confusing for some stuff.. plus the 'knob/joystick' thing gets activated in my pocet sometimes, a PIA.. finds satellites great though. The  backtrack 5 is more suited for my needs I think & will be looking into getting one as well..

My reason for purchasing the back track five was it was the newest type at the time. Honestly though for the type of use I got it for the back track three would be more then enough. All I need to do is get back home so if they made a backtrack two that would be enough !

in regards to the backtrack, backtrack 3 & 5, by Bushnell right? I read soem reviews saying they didnt have service or whatever in heavy woods....think they'd be ok in the Moshanon State Forest in North Central PA? It's not the rocky mountains lol.

in regards to the backtrack, backtrack 3 & 5, by Bushnell right? I read soem reviews saying they didnt have service or whatever in heavy woods....think they'd be ok in the Moshanon State Forest in North Central PA? It's not the rocky mountains lol.

Yes the Bushnell 5 is the one I use. It's so user friendly that when I first got it within minutes I was up & running. I had no problem using it.

I have heard different terrain can effect them but I did not have a problem. The only thing I learned on my own is when you first set it up the directions say to make figure eights with the unit to confuse it into taking your position fix. Dont be non aggessive with it. Flip it around and upside down. What this does is make the unit take a new position fix on where you are.

I have an older Garmin GPSMap76 that was my backup on the boat. Signal reception is always an issue particularly in denser canopy cover with this unit. Some of the newer models advertise better sensitivity under those conditions but I'm skeptical, when all is said and done they still need a decent view of the sky. My friends all had their smart phones operating last season when I couldn't get a signal, accuracy was poor on them though. Position was off by over 200 yds when compared to visible landmarks.

I have been using a Magellan GPS300 for many yrs. I has done what I wanted/needed it to do but I am currently looking at upgrading to a Garmin (I have eyeballed the 60CSX that NYSLOWHAND mentioned) it has some very good reviews.

I have the DeLorme Topo USA mapping software that I am currently using to plot my waypoints (by long/lat data) from my old Magellan, with the new GPS I can plug N play..................................

FDXX75

PS: I bought a Bushnell Backtracker last summer(got a really good deal) it is ok for its capabilities. But always remember...........................not a single one of them is any better than the batteries that power them. My compass has never once gone dead and left me standing in the woods wondering which way is home..............................

I have been using a Magellan GPS300 for many yrs. I has done what I wanted/needed it to do but I am currently looking at upgrading to a Garmin (I have eyeballed the 60CSX that NYSLOWHAND mentioned) it has some very good reviews.

I have the DeLorme Topo USA mapping software that I am currently using to plot my waypoints (by long/lat data) from my old Magellan, with the new GPS I can plug N play..................................

FDXX75

PS: I bought a Bushnell Backtracker last summer(got a really good deal) it is ok for its capabilities. But always remember...........................not a single one of them is any better than the batteries that power them. My compass has never once gone dead and left me standing in the woods wondering which way is home..............................

Very good point !!!! Always bring a compass with you. With any GPS I have purchased they always tell your that also . If I am hiking or deer hunting I always use compass and gps in conjunction. For bird hunting with my dog I just hit the go home button and take my chances. LOL!

FDXX75

Very good point !!!! Always bring a compass with you. With any GPS I have purchased they always tell your that also . If I am hiking or deer hunting I always use compass and gps in conjunction. For bird hunting with my dog I just hit the go home button and take my chances. LOL!

I was taught old school (compass) but use the modern tech. to store location information while in the woods. I then bring the data home, plot it on my maps and get an idea/total view of how/where things look in conjunction with everything else. I rely totally on compass readings when in the woods. I hunt the deep mountain areas of the central Adirondack Park, mess up there and the next person you talk to is speaking French..................LOL.

I like my GPS equipment for data gathering intel only.

FDXX75

Best thing to do is take the manufacture's claims at their face value.

Most tend to over-exaggerate their GPS unit's capabilities.

Satellite reception and the unit's ability to do what you expect it to do are most important.

Don't get caught up in all the bells & whistles; built in flash-lights, communication with similar units, alarm clocks, ....

There are units that function as both auto and handheld routing GPSs.

Big, color displays are great, but $$$$$.

Seeing the big picture on their small screen are their biggest fall-back.

I generally use mine in the field to transverse, create points, routes, mark trails or deer sightings.

Then download to PC and create a more easily viewed, editable map.

Some allow you to overlay your maps/points/trails onto an aerial map, ie; Google Satellite Map.

Do you need/want the GPS software to be able to do this? Mapping software can get $$.

Attached is a sample of what you can do with A GPS’s mapping software.

It's only a map of 60 acres, but shows boundaries, ATV trails, current treestand locations & proposed trails/stands.

Also have a 2nd map with all the deer sightings, trail cam photos, deer paths, etc.

Imagine that overlaid onto a satellite/aerial map...!

Bottom line:

First off, don't get overwhelmed by the technology, it's pretty basic.

GPS navigation is a tool, not a "must have"!! If you want to update from USGS Topo maps & a compass, then GPS is the way to go.

Get the best GPS you can afford, but only to the point of not regretting the $$$ spent.

Avoid units with all the "bling". Nothing wrong with buying a basic, functioning, used GPS first.