Matty On Point

airedale

"Matty" my young Setter pup pointing a Mourning Dove under one of the bird feeders in my front yard. It still amazes me how through selective breeding traits such as pointing, retrieving, treeing, herding etc have been incorporated and ingrained into specialized dog breeds for man's use. I think young Matty is going to be a good one.

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return dogs give us their all. It is the best deal man ever made!" M. Facklam

Al

2017-07-05_114441.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 10

This reminds me of a time long ago when I was a young boy and pheasants were aplenty here in the Finger Lakes region of New York. For my 16th birthday (50 years ago) I told my dad that I wanted a bird dog for my birthday. My dad did some research and found a local hunter that had a Brittany Spaniel that had just had a litter of pups. The mother and father were both great hunters. We got a male pup when he turned 8 weeks and was weaned. Within 2 weeks he was pointing butterflies in my backyard. He was a complete natural hunter and we had him out hunting at 6 months. He pointed pheasants and woodcock with very little training and I had many great times hunting with him, and may successful days hunting. There is no doubt that selective breeding incorporates hunting traits into hunting dogs. Good luck with Matty. Oh how I miss the "good ole days" when I used to hunt pheasants with my bird dog! Sadly, those days are gone.

valoroutdoors.com

• Like 2