Fall plots prepped

today I got the rest of the big lower field prepped for a mid August-early Sept planting. The middleand upper horse shoe plot for a first week in . AUG. turnip planting..t h epaddo c.f. k alfalfa grain plot goes in tomorrow.

Edited by growalot

Today I got the rest of the big lower field prepped for a mid August-early Sept planting. The middle and upper horse shoe plot for a first week in . AUG. turnip planting..the paddock  alfalfa/ grain plot goes in tomorrow. I'm considering a trail grat plot behind the house.

Edited by growalot

the Alfalfa plot is now re-disced dragged planted in shotplot and oats dragged again and I will lay a cover of alfalfa over the whole thing after I mow the property in a moment...rain due most of next week..

Dang tired...cleaned the dogs out door run  completely and layed down all fresh straw...that's a job in it's self...they pack that straw down tight especially in these rains...not like going in and just scooping...2 wheel barrels of tighty pack moist straw...Well better than having a mud hole out there and with all the rain what a mess that could have been.

I bush-hogged about 10 acres of over-ripe timothy hay today.  I was leaving it for my neighbor, in case he ran short for his livestock  due to all the rain, but he has enough now.   I just finished disking a 1/4 acre plot that will get fertilized, dragged, and planted with purple top turnips later today or tomorrow.   I also disked another 1-1/2 acre plot that will get planted with wheat/soybean/clover mix in mid August.   That was corn last year.  I bush hogged it in the spring a sprayed it with gly 2 weeks ago.  I am going to skip the spray and plow and disk another acre that was also corn last year, seed the same thing, and see which one does better.   As fuel gets cheaper (I paid $1.95/gallon for off-road diesel the last time) I prefer to use more plow and less herbicide on my plots.

We spent most of the day out on Lake Erie yesterday, and now have enough fish to last thru the year, so now it is time to work on the foodplots.  The deer hunting at home is probably going to be a little tougher this year, because the local farmers are really hammering them with their nuisance permits.  I am going to need all the food-plot draw that I can get.   My corn is looking spectacular, so that should help.        

crap!...you just reminded me... in trying to get every thing done I forgot to lay down the fertilizer...just one more thing...while mowing the rt front tire fell of the small JD...thank the heavens it wasn't the axle...bad weld from a repair last year... Well I'll just have to walk it over between rains or just before tomorrow...

2 hours ago, growalot said:

crap!...you just reminded me... in trying to get every thing done I forgot to lay down the fertilizer...just one more thing...while mowing the rt front tire fell of the small JD...thank the heavens it wasn't the axle...bad weld from a repair last year... Well I'll just have to walk it over between rains or just before tomorrow...

I can relate to wheels falling off small JD's.  The first tractor on our farm was a JD M that my grandad bought new in 1951 (before that, all they used was "real" horsepower).   That was the only tractor here for many years and it accumulated a lot of hours.  Eventually the axle splines wore out on both rear wheels.  The last time a wheel came off, it was while grandpa was cultivating corn in the late seventies.  He was probably not moving very fast at the time, because the steering was so badly worn that high speed cultivating would have cost him a lot of corn.   It still must have been scary when that wheel came off, but at least the mounted front and rear cultivators held the tractor up and prevented a roll-over.  In later years, I cultivated many acres of corn with nothing but welds holding the rear wheels on.

Needless to say, I feel a lot safer on the lower-riding, low-hour Ford 8n that I used for cultivating this year.  An added plus is that it does two rows at a time instead of just one like that JD M, or the crappy little Farmall cub that I used for the previous 14 years.  Man I hated that thing with it's offset "cultivision".  That forced me to look down at the corn, and gave me a stiff neck.  The first time I used it, I wanted that old JD M back, but dad took it with him when my folks moved onto my grandparents (on my mom's side) larger farm.  With the JD, you could keep your head up and just sight the row down the ridge on the hood.  How great it was this spring, when I found a deal on craigslist, to trade a Farmall cub snowplow that I had, for a mint-condition Ford/Ferguson 2-row 3-point cultivator.  I sold the cub tractor and cultivators cheap to a co-worker, basically at "parts-tractor" price.  It feels very good to be rid of that maintenance nightmare.  I will never again buy a used, high-hour tractor, especially a red one.               

We have to small JD mower/tractors...small ones and the mid sized JD...both the small ones were new way back in the early 70's...lots and lots of hours on them...our son has the second one for he is rebuilding t h e engine on his at the moment.. it was the repair shop that broke this loose last year when doing a wheel bearing packing..does that sound right?... anyways he hired a sub contract welder to come in and do the repair. We'll just have to get our other one back....Mr B must have said 4 x's...so glad it happened here and not when I was down at camp with it...lol...He dang near knocked every apple off t h e crab apple tree driving the truck over to see why I yelled. How a woman takes the edge off a bad situation....101...yell with some frantic in your tone...by the time he see's you and realizes your OK ..A rush of relief makes the problem seem not so bad...lol:wink:

Oh My Gosh...hand mowing even a small plot is tough with the DR.,That Persian carpet is killing me between the garden and plots... I would have to spend one entire season just discing and tilling with not planting to get all the seeds killed off. Mr B would freak out with out the garden...he's already bugging me about the zucchini patty marathon he expects to fill the freezer with them this year...That will teach me for trying something new....

Any ways the last mowing did what I wanted and broke out the clovers and the grasses in that hay plot...this one has taken those weeds and yes everything else right to the ground...here's to hoping the hay plants survive it...the Persian carpet weed responded to the last mowing by setting a billion flowers on 4 inch plants,,,...I got most of them cut,, Well the DR and I ran out of gas ...In to refuel us both...time to hit the field and finish that job...then on to the next......hope the flies have moved off stinking things have made my back feel like a pin cushion

Well The rest of the bigger lower plot got it's first discing this morning...I will let vegitation dry a bit...these insuing rains losen the soils a bit more then attach the harrow drag to the disc and do a light dic with vegitation removal.. then hit the area with a few bags of lime...I'll stake an  area for turnips and disc?drag in fertilizer and topp it with a bunch of turnip seed...the rest will wait for the winter grains... when they come in I will disc any new growth while adding fertilizer  firm the bed up and then drag in the grains...may top it off with a clover..grabbing a bite then have some trees to plant.