staking system

NYHuntFish

Question: What staking system do you recommend for the Southern Tier? Rocks, lots of rocks.

By recommend I'm really asking: If you're a trapper, what do you use? Do you use the super stakes or is that overkill cost-wise? What is the best investment for upstate NY soil? 

I'm just getting into trapping this year. I took the class and got my license and am hoping to trap some coyote, coon, and fox for now if possible.

Thank you much in advance.

Dave

There are several different companies making them now; the only downside I see is more gear to haul through the woods. The steel rod used to drive them into the ground is heavy when added to all the other gear.

I trap some pretty nasty rocky soil and have had to move them a couple of times to get between the rocks but they worked good for me.

• Like 1

I would say some I've used 2-3 years and I normally pull them up before the ground freezes, inspect them for rust and tears in the cable. If they're good looking use them again. At seasons end I take a long rod and simple apply steady pressure and pull them up.

Last fall my season was cut short by a blizzard and I marked them well, left them there and will use them this fall.

Glad I can help you, I've only been back trapping myself recently and learned a bunch from here and videos. I'm also lucky there is a trapping store about an hour away and the owner has been great.

• Like 1

I'm going to get superstakes eventually but saw 500' of (It think) good grade 3/32 7x7 cable at minntrapprod.com was $35 so decided to get that and some "Wolf Fang" ends. I will plan to replace with superstake chains soon but this much cable for this cheap....seems like a no brainer to pick up anyway.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, NYHuntFish said:

I'm going to get superstakes eventually but saw 500' of (It think) good grade 3/32 7x7 cable at minntrapprod.com was $35 so decided to get that and some "Wolf Fang" ends. I will plan to replace with superstake chains soon but this much cable for this cheap....seems like a no brainer to pick up anyway.

I found this too... Add more than $50 of stuff (traps seem expensive I've been using Fleming Trap site for traps (http://www.flemingtraps.com) but equip seems cheap).... and you get free stuff. AFTER you add to your cart (but Before you pay), click this link and choose free stuff .http://www.minntrapprod.com/Free-Item-with-an-Online-Order-Over-50/productinfo/FREE/

Edited by NYHuntFish

Good luck this fall. 

There are many great ideas here and some of the others have years of experience.

I feel it comes down to some experimentation to see what works best for you and how your budget goes. You'll find the guys here will never steer you wrong and offer up help when asked.

• Like 2