nz muzzleloader opener

rachunter

i'm heading up tomorrow afternoon for the muzzleloader opener Saturday.i was shooting for 9 days but could only squeeze 6 days in. sat & sun look wet but Monday looks great 49 for the high. i'm going to hunt my property sat/sun then hit the state land for some still/stake hunting a swamp I've been checking out since spring. I haven't been this pumped up about deer hunting in years I think it's because i'll be hunting with a gun instead of a bow.

anyone else heading out??

• Like 1

I also did not see any horns last weekend, but did see signs of a few, including rubs and big wide tracks.  The warm weather cut into my hunting time quite a bit and I spent more time fishing (the smallmouth were really on fire Saturday afternoon) than hunting.   The butcher shop I use (Nolt's in Lowville), is closed on Sundays, so a Saturday afternoon ML hunt was not an option.  I went out with my crossbow on Friday, and was able to get within 75 yards of a couple antlerless deer, before they noticed me and high-tailed it into the cover.  It would have been a chip-shot, leaning against a tree with my scoped ML, but was about 25 yards too far for me to take a shot with the crossbow.   The antlerless deer are safe up there now in zone 6C, for this season. 

I am heading back up with my rifles this weekend and hoping for some windy & rainy weather so I can try some still-hunting for bucks with my new Marlin 30/30.   Also, I strapped one of them $30 Aldi's pop-up blinds down in a hot-spot late Saturday morning, where I can hole up in for a while if the rain comes down too hard.   If the wind is from the prevailing direction, that spot will give me a great shot at the location where I saw a nice little 4-point last year.  If he survived and hits the same spot again this year, it might be his last, especially if he has a little more horn and body mass on him.        

• Like 1

Went up there for 4 days from fri night to tuesday afternoon.  Does everyday, but no horns.  I'm up in a spot where muzzleloader does are a no-no.  Taking the weekend off because it's too hot.  Next weekend regarless of temps I'll be up there for a 3 day weekend.

I stand hunt morning and evenings with my lyman flintlock.  mid-day I stalk hunt with a peep sighted marlin 30-30.

• Like 1