VX-3I 3.5-10x40 Vs VX-2 3-9x40?

My Kahles 3-9x42 had both the elevation and windage turrets lock up. It is still on zero, but I don't trust it. I want to replace it now (our deer season opened on 10/21 and runs until December) while I send it in for service.

I have always been a fan of the VX-2 series and have owned a couple of VX-2 3-9x40s. I'm taking a serious look at the VX-3I in 3.5-10x40. Is the $100 price difference & 1 1/2 oz weight gain worth it?

Is there a significant advantage in low light performance and resistance to (image) glare when facing the sun?

Simple answer.  NO, not worth the extra $100 for 1X more in magnification and the added weight.  I've had a VXII 3X-9X on my gun for 30 years and I don't remember the last time I had to re-sight the gun.  They typically hold zero better than any scope I've had experience with.

43 minutes ago, wildcat junkie said:

My Kahles 3-9x42 had both the elevation and windage turrets lock up. It is still on zero, but I don't trust it. I want to replace it now (our deer season opened on 10/21 and runs until December) while I send it in for service.

I have always been a fan of the VX-2 series and have owned a couple of VX-2 3-9x40s. I'm taking a serious look at the VX-3I in 3.5-10x40. Is the $100 price difference & 1 1/2 oz weight gain worth it?

Is there a significant advantage in low light performance and resistance to (image) glare when facing the sun?

36 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Simple answer.  NO, not worth the extra $100 for 1X more in magnification and the added weight.  I've had a VXII 3X-9X on my gun for 30 years and I don't remember the last time I had to re-sight the gun.  They typically hold zero better than any scope I've had experience with.

I am not concerned with the magnification and selected the closest match between the 2 options.. See BOLD text in red above.

20 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Can't speak for the new I series but I have a bunch of vx3's and VX2's the 3's are worth the extra money in glass alone and 1.5oz won't be noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is what I am concerned with, the quality of the glass.

Edited by wildcat junkie

I did not notice that you said that the 3.5-10 was a VX3.  Generally, from what I've seen the price difference between the VXII and VX3 is quite a bit more than $100, so I guess if you can get a VX3 for only $100 more it would be a great deal.  I'm sure there might be a step up in the quality of the glass with the VX3, but from my experience there are no flies on the VXII neither.  It is a simple scope that works and holds it's zero better than any other I've had experience with.  As you probably know quality mounts are half the battle or more in keeping a scope in zero.  I see people buying good quality scopes only to connect them to their rifles with cheap mounts, many made of aluminum.  If you want stability, you need steel mounts, and then even cheaper scopes will work pretty good for you.

2 hours ago, steve863 said:

I did not notice that you said that the 3.5-10 was a VX3.  Generally, from what I've seen the price difference between the VXII and VX3 is quite a bit more than $100, so I guess if you can get a VX3 for only $100 more it would be a great deal.  I'm sure there might be a step up in the quality of the glass with the VX3, but from my experience there are no flies on the VXII neither.  It is a simple scope that works and holds it's zero better than any other I've had experience with.  As you probably know quality mounts are half the battle or more in keeping a scope in zero.  I see people buying good quality scopes only to connect them to their rifles with cheap mounts, many made of aluminum.  If you want stability, you need steel mounts, and then even cheaper scopes will work pretty good for you.

Sportsman's Supply is just outside of Butler, PA. They have been there for many many years (I remember shopping there in the early 1970s when I lived in PA) and sell the VX-3I 3.5-10x40 for less than $290 shipped on E-Bay. I bought my last Leupold scope from them and it arrived fast..

Edited by wildcat junkie

Well, I was watching an e-bay auction for the VX3i 3.5-10x40 at Sportman's Supply and when I checked it this afternoon it was at  $286 bid. The regular price was $289.91 so WTH, I just ordered it.

Placed the order @ 12:58 PM and the Butler PA Post Office logged it in @ 5:07 PM.

How's that for service? That's the 2nd Leupold scope I've ordered from Sportsman's Supply and it probably won't be the last.