Region 5 hunter--Cambridge

oregon to ny

Hello all.  New here to the area after moving from Portland, Oregon in January.  I have found some public hunting areas, I think, but want to make sure I am on the right track and can't find any good maps on the DEC site for areas around me.. I am in Cambridge, New York and have found the Battenkill State land area. Does anyone know or can offer up any information to help me out? I would appreciate any help. A little history on me--I have been hunting turkey's in Ohio since 1992,  before moving to Oregon 4 years ago. So I have alot of experience hunting eastern's, just need a good spot out here. I have a 14 year old son also that will be going on his first hunt this season also--thats whats exciting!! So guy's any help would be appreciated and I enjoy the site.  Thanks

Welcome, I live in Saratoga County in the Town of Northumberland, or Gansevoort, which ever you want to call it.

You can try here on the DEC's site  http://www.dec.ny.gov/pubs/212.html

Or just try going to farm's and asking, there are plenty of bird's in the area. I look on the online tax map to get the owner's name of an area I like and start from there.

Thank You Doewhacker for the quick response. I have tried the knocking on the door some this weekend with no luck, but I will try some more this week..I work in Malta at Globalfoundries and on my way home everyday I see alot of deer and some turkey..I can't wait to get out there and go. Good luck all!!

Did you see the bunch of deer on the side hill by exit 12 a couple of weeks ago? What a sight that was driving to and from work..lol They were bedding at the top of the hill there for about a week straight.

We used to drive an hour to Turkey hunt but now I prefer to hunt right around the house, not a lot of pressure after opening weekend for the most part and I'm sure you see the amount of farm land around which is great for Turkey.

Yes Fantail, I tried the interactive mapper but it is still kind of confusing. has anyone hunted the Battenkill state forest before? My son and I went up there this past weekend and scouted some but didn't want to go all over because we are not exactly sure where we can go due to lack of mapping. I will be leaving this Friday to go to Ohio to hunt some turkeys next week--wish me luck!! Can't wait!