Laser Bore Sighter

I have never used a lazer bore sighter . I installed my own scopes on my NEF single shots and ML . I set the Black & Decker Clamp bench on a coffee table in the family room . I clamp the stock in the wooden vice and then look down the barrel so the neighbor's yard light is centered in the barrel . Then I adjust the scope so it has the same picture . I double check the barrel and scope to make sure they match . I then take the gun to the range and I am on the paper with the 1st shot .

I had thought about getting the bore sighter but figured , why spend the money on something that I don't need .

I recently bought an LED flashlight that also has a red laser beam mode for $4 at Home Depot.  I can wedge it to the top of my action once I remove the bolt and beam the light thru the barrel.  I am sure it can do the job just as good as buying one of those expensive laser bore sighters.

I recently bought an LED flashlight that also has a red laser beam mode for $4 at Home Depot.  I can wedge it to the top of my action once I remove the bolt and beam the light thru the barrel.  I am sure it can do the job just as good as buying one of those expensive laser bore sighters.

The Lazer sighters I saw were like rifle cartridges and would be centered in the chamber . If you put a lazer light flashlight in the rifle , I doubt it would be centered . If it is cocked a bit , it could make a big difference at 50 - 100 yards .

The Lazer sighters I saw were like rifle cartridges and would be centered in the chamber . If you put a lazer light flashlight in the rifle , I doubt it would be centered . If it is cocked a bit , it could make a big difference at 50 - 100 yards .

Yeah, I know what you are saying, but I think the beam is thick enough on the flashlight where it would reflect off the inside of the barrel if it weren't centered well enough to shine thru it.  I don't think the flashlight I got could shoot a visible beam more than 20-30 yards in daylight.  I think this could help bring the crosshairs pretty close to center nonetheless.  But then again one can use the method you suggested and that would work just as good which is the way I typically do it also.  I just don't think those expensive bore sighters are really worth it.  One has to fire some rounds anyway, so why not just use the old fashioned method?

I have both a conventional and laser bore sighters, I use the conventional one 9 out of 10 times for two reasons. It helps in aligning the crosshairs when tightening the top clamps on the rings to prevent scope canter and after bench sighting I can reinsert the bore sight and note the exact location on the grid and document it for later referrence. Neither of which you can do with the laser sighter.

I have used mine on dozens of rifles over the yrs. and have always been on paper within a few inches of the bullseye.

FDXX75

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know the make, but my uncle has a laser bore sighter for a .270. I like it because it gets me on paper, but there is a lot of adjusting that needs to be done afterwards. I just put new bases on my .270 last week and went and shot it after using the bore sighter. I was 5" to the right and 3" high. odd...