I'm just a shotgun guy

Robhuntandfish

7 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

Several years later I bought a rifled barrel for it for $135 at Creekside Gun Shop in Holcomb .

What kind of barrel was that?  I bought a Hastings barrel with a cantilever scope mount for my Remington 870 many years ago.  That thing would vertically stack the slugs as the barrel heated up and the cantilever deflected.  After missing a deer clean (I think), and hitting a few in spots away from my point of aim, I verified the issue on the range.  I got by with it for a few years by only shooting with a cold barrel, but that took considerable extra effort.   I traded it in at a local gun shop, to partially offset the cost of a new T/C Omega 50 cal ML, which served me well thru gun season until the previously explained mishap 14 years ago.  These days, thanks to my Marlin 512 bolt-action rifled slug gun, that ML is relegated to ML season only.  There, it is only used for shots under 100 yards, unless the deer is perfectly broadside.  It has never let me down in those situations.      

1 hour ago, fasteddie said:

When I 1st started deer hunting , I bought a Winchester 12 ga smooth bore with the Winchester Recoil Reduction System for $108 at Beikirchs when they were on Winton Road . Killed a lot of deer with that shotgun and my wife bought a Qwik Point sight for it . It has springs in the stock and instead of the recoil kicking the barrel up , it would recoil backwards . I had to learn to shoot it with my thumb rolled over so I wouldn't get hit in the nose with my thumb when I shot it . Several years later I bought a rifled barrel for it for $135 at Creekside Gun Shop in Holcomb . Anyone remember that place ? I shot Winchester Foster slugs and killed a lot of deer with those . I was told that I shouldn't do that as they would lead up the barrel . Never had a problem with that . After I got my ML , I would carry the 12 ga opening day of deer season and then use the ML the rest of the season . About 3 years ago , I bought the savage F220 20 ga bolt action and put a scope on it . I use it when I hunt in Monroe County . I use the Remington Accu Tips but they are pricey . Luckily the Savage is accurate enough that I don't need the second shot ( so far , that is ) . Now that rifles are legal in the other areas that I hunt , why use a shotgun ! 

I am considering getting a sure shot stock for mine as I seem to get a thumb in the nose sometimes with my 11-87

You must have missed the "in the last 13 years" part.  No big deal, none of us are perfect. Think about a little more research before throwing stones, or skip it altogether.  I am sorry to hear about the loss of the goat and your bad mood is understandable. I forgive you completely for your latest oversight.   

Edited by wolc123