Fishers

avg. joe

Seems alot of folks around Chautauqua County are mentioning seeing fishers. Is this a population boom in recent years, or have I been missing a lot. I have seen a few in PA but not up here.

I know in Broome county we have had a population explosion of fishers, Bears, and Bobcats over the last 10 yrs. I was just watching a fisher the other day running up and down the creek behind my house.

They been around my place in Allegany for a few years now , we had one up in a tree where we had deer hanging durning hunting season that decided that one of the deer was a free meal !

Sightings may be more frequent this time of yr. as Fischers are one of the main killers of fawn deer and the does are birthing around this time. They are relentless animals.

FDXX75

Interesting I have never heard that before . We are starting to see them here in the past few years. I was happy to see them as I heard they feed heavy on porcupines .

Sightings may be more frequent this time of yr. as Fischers are one of the main killers of fawn deer and the does are birthing around this time. They are relentless animals.

FDXX75

Interesting I have never heard that before . We are starting to see them here in the past few years. I was happy to see them as I heard they feed heavy on porcupines .

They are very fond of quillpigs, actually it is their favorite food staple. I posted pics a while back of a 3-4 week old fawn that had been attacked by a fischer next to my house. The animal rescue folks told me they see a large amount of fischer attacks on new born to 8 week old fawns alot.

They also stated that fischers are very intellegent animals and will actually travel to known fawn birthing areas to get a quick easy meal, Black bears are probably as bad when it comes to killing fawns.

FDXX75

I have also been seeing fishers over the past 2 years. Never saw them before. I hope they munch on all the porkies by me, we have a ton of them.

The porkers have been devouring the white pines, young beech trees and my house!

I have also been seeing fishers over the past 2 years. Never saw them before. I hope they munch on all the porkies by me, we have a ton of them.

The porkers have been devouring the white pines, young beech trees and my house!

If you have a large population of "porkies" in your area, you will sooner or later have fishers.

FDXX75