The Internet is a Blessing and a Curse

I decided to check the trigger pulls on my rifles for consistency.  Got quite a surprise with my Model 700 as it was breaking at a bit over 5 lbs.  The surprise came because quite a few years ago I paid a gunsmith to lower it to 3 lbs.  It came back better than the factory setting (hate to think how heavy that was) so I assumed he'd done as asked. 

Now that the Internet is available, I searched on info to do it myself and it really wasn't very hard to do.  The blessing of the Internet.

I checked for info on my Browning Lever Rifle and found, as expected, that it's not easily adjusted.  Not that it really needs to be with a 5 1/4 lb pull and just some creep to get used to.  It's not meant to be a bench rest gun.  Anyway, fella's on the Internet were saying how hard it is just to reassemble the rack and pinion gears while getting the "timing right".  Glad I didn't know this when I pulled it all apart once to give it a good cleaning.  Putting it back together wasn't too tricky.  I do remember taking a few tries to get the gears lined up right but perseverance and a little thinking prevailed.  Glad I didn't know about the "timing" thing.  The curse of the Internet.

Wel the guys posting the difficulty of reassembling the gun may just be a little more capable with a keyboard than anything mechanical :) . I have never come across a typical hunting gun that if you look at the exploded parts view and have any mechanical inclination you can't take apart and reassemble. Just have to pay attention to order and keep things organized....oh and do it in one sitting!! a couple days off between the pile of parts and the reassembled gun can make it a bear...lol

• 2 weeks later...