Honeoye lake inlet

Dingler

Been looking around at some state land to deer hunt next season. Just wanted to know if any of you have hunted the state land at the South end of honeoye lake. Gun, bow, or crossbow. Also how much pressure during each if it applies. Also deer activity that you saw while hunting. If it's worth it I plan on doing some boots on the ground scouting this spring. Thanks for any information.

That is the site of the huge March deer yard back in the 80's around the Emil Muller farm. Yeah, I don't think it would be an exaggeration to say that they numbered in the thousands when the yard was at it's peak population. Things have changed a lot since then, and I have lost track of the deer situation over there in recent years. But the area still looks real "deery". I'm not sure what the hunting pressure is like now with it all turned into state land. Take a day off and wander around over there. If there are deer in any numbers, they will be obvious at this time of year.

Thanks Doc. I remember hearing about the deer yards back then, the deer would come off the hills and be on the farm. I will have to get out their and walk it. I did drive around it one Saturday during gun season, I saw a few people hunting it. I just don't know what what is considered heavy pressure for state land. 1 guy per 10 acres? 

I don't know an exact density number either, but on the bigger state parcels, you usually can get away from the crowd. Also, some pressure in gun season is usually a good thing once you discover the hot escape routes.

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 1:27 PM, Dingler said:

Just wanted to know if any of you have hunted the state land at the South end of honeoye lake

Always thought about it and have wanted to walk it but never have. The main thing that has kept out of there is the fact that if you shoot one there it is a uphill drag all the way to the road.

17 hours ago, Doc said:

That is the site of the huge March deer yard back in the 80's around the Emil Muller farm.

I remember that back in the 70's........73. 74, 75??

I've hunted areas around that area and can tell you there is no reason you couldn't do very good there gun or bow hunting.  Just going to take a fair amount of shoe leather..................

Luck to you!