Dang Coyotes

The last few mornings I have heard the turkeys gobbling in my back 40, my son came out yesterday just in time to hear them. It was a great feeling to see his face light up. Well this morning I come out to the coyotes howling and no turkeys my son heard them and the disgusted look on his face said it all. My guess is they grabbed one of the turkeys I have had lurking around. I really wish there was an open season on those damn things. Hopefully things settle down in time for turkey season and the yotes didn't get the 3 bearded tom that has been frequenting my property. I have never shot a Tom so seeing a few on camera and one with 3 beards about 10" long really got me all excited for the upcoming season.

Rant over.

5 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

The last few mornings I have heard the turkeys gobbling in my back 40, my son came out yesterday just in time to hear them. It was a great feeling to see his face light up. Well this morning I come out to the coyotes howling and no turkeys my son heard them and the disgusted look on his face said it all. My guess is they grabbed one of the turkeys I have had lurking around. I really wish there was an open season on those damn things. Hopefully things settle down in time for turkey season and the yotes didn't get the 3 bearded tom that has been frequenting my property. I have never shot a Tom so seeing a few on camera and one with 3 beards about 10" long really got me all excited for the upcoming season.

Rant over.

Adult birds are tough for a yote to get. Hens on nest or young ones are a different story. Most likely  the yotes were moving through the area.. bet you hear them gobbling again soon. 

2 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Adult birds are tough for a yote to get. Hens on nest or young ones are a different story. Most likely  the yotes were moving through the area.. bet you hear them gobbling again soon. 

Yeah I'm hoping, the howls came from just about the same area that I have been hearing the birds. I'll have to get out there and poke around a little to see what went down.

What G-Man said.... Coyotes howling in the immediate area may shut down gobbling for awhile,  but I have located gobblers a number of times when they sounded of at coyotes howling a safe distance away from them...

Up in Ontario I do a lot of gobbler hunting edges of very large cedar pastures and have watched coyotes and turkeys in the same field a number of times...I  never saw a coyote try to catch one, because they know it's futile..The birds keep an eye on the coyotes to make sure they don't get TOO close but they seldom flee in terror from the sight of one..

I HAVE however had coyotes in to hen calls in woods or denser cover a number of times...