New NZ Plot

Going to try and keep this updated from time to time for progress.

This is a new stretch plot, being done in 6k for the most part in the middle of the woods. Done with hand tools, with the exception of a reartine tiller - I mean come on. There are no farms or fields close by, there is ample water, and a swamp. I'll make use of the tiller, shovel, rakes, pole saw, hand operated broadcast spreader, an occasional hand-gallon sprayer, & a deer cart to help get jazz back there.

Prior to this weekend I was up and sprayed the new plot and another one close by (about the same size) with Spectracide, its a sort of round up knock-off. Was up this weekend and cleared up the area a bit for the tiller & so I could spread fert. I didn't get everything I wanted done because a former relative passed away and I went to pay my respects. And so I will have to spread & till hopefully next weekend. I want to do two things with this mainly, well - besides draw deer to my lease for Bow season, one is learn from the experience, and second show what can be done with basic tools for a woodland - less then acre size plot. I am leaning toward forage chickory in this one.

Btw the mosquitos & deer flies were obnoxious, had to work with a headnet, no breeze, ahh the fun.

1st. pic is the new plot facing west - a week after being sprayed.

2nd. pic a few hours later after clearing up the canopy a bit. (heavy overcast)

3rd. pic facing east with the sun trying to peek through.

post-3-131455449187_thumb.jpg

post-3-131455449211_thumb.jpg

post-3-131455449221_thumb.jpg

Finished tilling this plot and the other one close by. Tiller did a good job, I think it found every root in the whole place. Had to stop every 10-15 yards and clear the tines on the first round. Both plots got the twice over. Had to adjust the reverse pully, man does that come in handy.

Plan to get back up there within two weeks to broadcast. It takes about a 1/2 hour each way to get the tiller from camp to the plots, so I thought hit them both. The other logging trail plots I'm just going to spray down, rake & broadcast when the time comes. The Ariens 5hp (Tecumseh powered) ran clean & strong, only used about 2 gal. Most of the pics were fuzzy, was having just a little trouble holding the camera still at the end of the day. :)

1st. pic new plot

2nd pic plot from last year

post-3-131455450123_thumb.jpg

post-3-131455450134_thumb.jpg

That is alot of work with a hand tiller. Can understand why you were shaky.  That is where a nice compact tractor with a rear tine tiller comes in handy.  Those spots look like that wouldn't be possible to get to with such a rig.  It will be well worth it, when the green is showing with  the deer right along with it.  The progress will be interesting to follow.  Hope mother nature is on your side.

Both plots have been seeded. Swept over them with the lawn rake - trying to get as many under enough soil as I could. Got my fingers crossed and hoping for enough rain. I'll get back up there camping & getting other things done at least twice a month before late Sept. - October. So I'll be sure to check up on them.

To Luck!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Update: I believe to have unknowingly killed the chickory plot before it had a chance.  :-[

That plot aside from a handfull of weeds is dry & brown. Got some information about the spray I used (Spectracide), & that it contains Dicambia, a broadleaf weed killer. With a 1/2 life of 30-90 days. It's been about 40.

I could piss and moan, but it's my own fault then for trying to save a few bucks.

I think there's still time to salvage that plot; a good suggestion was oats & rye. And then rework it next spring for chickory. Didn't have good luck with oats up there last year though. And so another suggestion was reseed with chickory & rye, take a chance that has a back-up. I would consider a mix given the circumstances. Biologic makes a buckweat & peas mix that looks good, but I just don't know.

In any case I think this weekend is out due to dry weather, maybe over the 30th or Aug 6th. August is a flag month, I mean need to have some vacation time planned, NZ seasons are sneeking up etc.

edit; btw the clover is starting to green, I'm sure it's water starved but that plot has some growth.

Thats got to be a huge bummer.  I know when I herbacided mine I used a product form Gordens. I had some nasty stuff growing from brush, briars and poison ivy.  What confused me about it was that every other stuff on the shelf had a plant date on it but this stuff.  I called and they told me the same 30 to 90 days.  That put me to the end of july so it just reassured my decision to go with an annuall anyhow.  I will say that I did a small test plot of seeds in another area to see what the deer prefered and they seemed to really like the whitetail forage oats plus from whitetail institute so that is what Im going with.  $40 for half an acre of seed.  I did in the middle of the food plot throw down a handfull of seed to test for the herbacide killing it out a week ago and it seems to be growing fine even through this dry spell.  Its standing at about 4 inches right now.  Second week of august its all going in.  I have made many mistakes that have lead to less than ideal results from a foodplot and the good thing is we learn from it and they will just keep getting better and better the more we do it.  Good luck with your seed choice and keep us posted.

Oat get eaten fast if not drilled in... but a good mix of red clover and winter wheat and rye around 1st ir 2nd week in august will work wonders especially if your going to turn it under next spring..if you don't want to turn it under plant wheat and a good mix of trefoil/clover/alfalfa/vetch .the wheat will protect it untill it has a chance to get established.each has its own requirements and will fill the plot nicely. It will last for 4 or 5 years with little maintance.

Going to roll with a rye/clover mix. I have a cupfull of chickoy left over might add that in as well. Not happy with this weekends forcast though, was hoping for more rain. I'm hesitant to wait another week with the NZ opener about 60 days away. 

• 4 weeks later...