Best rig setup for rocky river edges?

Elmo

I live in NYC but fortunately I live close to the Hudson River.  I any fish you're going to catch off the Hudson are Strippers and Carp.  Yesterday, fishing off the rockly ledges, I wasn't getting anything with my Rapala Shad Rap (F7).  I was casting and reeling.  Wasn't getting anything.  Saw some guy up the river who had his rod propped up on the rocks and had his line going out and to the bottom.  I guess he was fishing the bottom.  I decided to try the same thing so I tied a weight to a foot and a half in front of my Rapala.  And well...it got stuck on some river bed rocks forcing me to cut the line.  Anyone has a recommended setup?  Appreciate the feedback.  Thanks in advance!

You learned a good way to do it from the guy upriver. Its the most common thing used for saltwater fish around NYC. But sounds like you got a little unlucky with it. If you want to fish around NYC, i recommended you head out to Broad Channel out by the Rockaways. Their is a park people fish off of, with much success i should add. Also the water is probably a bit less disgusting then what you get at the heart of the city. But if you are set on fishing the Hudson, then the setup you used is the best, assuming you dont get it stuck again.

Toruk- Ye i didn't realize you were using expensive lures, that is definitely not necessary. Live bait is the way to go. I like to use nightcrawlers, but i know people who hate using that for saltwater fish(which kind of make sense since their are none in the middle of the ocean). Ill suggest using a little squid for Strippers.

Localqdm- Nope never used anything like that, does it only prevent the weight from getting stuck, or does it protect the hook somehow too?

Try a Lindy Rig. (Google it for pictures). Very cheap and effective. They're available commercially, but are very easy to make - at about 1/20 th the cost. For a really rocky bottom, a Lindy Rig float will keep the bait off the bottom.

DC

If you want to bait fish I suggest using a three way swivel. The line down to the weight should be smaller test so if it hangs you don't lose your rig. I have used this for bait and for adding weight for trolling close to the bottom or weed tops. The drop sinners are pretty cheap and keeps you from losing the main rig