Anyone familiar with Remington Buckhammer slugs?

If so what has been your experience with them?  I recently purchased a h & r 20 gauge single shot with rifled barrel and these are the first shell I will be trying ( as soon as they come in)....just wondering  people opinions on these shells?  20ga 2 3/4" 1 oz

I recently bought a Remington 870 in 20 ga. and while shopping for ammo Dick's had buckhammers on sale so I stocked up on them. I bought the 2 3/4" ones and was really surprised at accuracy and range. Dead on at 50 yds and a little high at 100. I couldn't understand that myself but in my gun they were about an inch or two high at 100 yds. Now for the moment of truth, lasat season I was in a box blind with a rest when a buck came in at about fifty yards on a trot. I put the scope on a clearing he was heading for and got him midship a little low on his right side. It took him down as he dived foward from the momentum of the trot he was in and piled up within 20 yds of where I shot him. When he was butchered one piece of the slug made it all the way to under the skin on the opposite side where his front leg joined the body. I wasn't there so I can't be exact on how much went where else but id did the job great and that's without goin up to 3". Sorry but I don't get to tell the story often enough. lol

Not sure about the 20ga. But I used buckhammers in a 12ga a couple of years ago.  Shot a 170lbs buck running on an angle towrds me. Hit him in front of the sholder heading back. The buck stopped and stood behind a tree. About 1 minute later he stepped out. I pulled for the same shot.  He went down. I did have to finish him off though. Upon butchering both the slugs layed in the far shoulder.  I don't know what to think.  Alot of lead went to the far sholder, with not much results??? 

I have shot two deer with 12 ga buckhammers. A buck at ten yards, he ran about 30 yds before crashing into a tree dead.And a doe at about 30 yds. she ran forward, stopped and was looking around not knowing that she was even hit apparently.She moved forward a little and fell over.Both shots were through the vitals.The 12 ga buckhammers are pretty flat faced which creates a large entrance hole.Both of these shots were close so I don't know what downrange results would be like.This is a picture of the entrance side of the buck.

post-1587-131455456663_thumb.jpg

I set up my son's 20ga 500 (smoothbore) with these, picked up a box to try and was impressed at the range. They grouped better then any other slug. Feels like your shooting a 12ga; 2&3/4" shell, 1500 fps 1 oz slug.

I also know that these will work well if you use a rifled choke due to the twist rate and velocity. I have not used these with a fully rifled bore. But for the performance & price of these I would say they have to be one of the best slugs on the market.

• 1 month later...