Preferred Box Call?

jmark

they all work. cadence and pitch (pressure) are more important to the bird. "better" ones with different wood seem to have deeper and richer tones and are easier to make a more consistent sound i think, if you want to split hairs and be overly critical.  i have one that's custom made and another that's cheap off the shelf.  My custom one is made with black walnut and sassafras. the cheaper one is cherry.  both have called in a lot of birds, back when i turkey hunted more.

• Like 1

Almost any box call will work, if you know how to get the right sounds out of it.

Personally, I prefer a waterproof call, less maintenance and things that can go wrong. Even better if it has a hen sound on one side & a jake sound on the other side.

I'm too rough on gear, I just stick with mass-produced. I'd hate to break or lose an expensive call that had some sort of meaning or value to me.

• Like 1

I never heard a Lynch Foolproof that did not render realistic yelps... The World Champion is good too,  but the Foolproof is a bit more user friendly. IMHO.....

I currently have 14 box calls and my favorite is a custom box made by Bob Harwell in South Carolina...It is a double sided box with a black walnut striker and butternut sides... Bob  apprenticed with Neil " Gobbler" Cost, one of the most famous box call makers in the country, and his box calls are basically clones of Neil's calls...