Shotgun primer help

Hunter007

I Bought a new  single shot shotgun the other day only had a chance to  test rem sluggers in the gun  and they did not fire had to pull the trigger 2 times to get them to fire 

Then I tested some #7 bird shot  loads those worked fine .

Called up the manufacturer and ask them what to do and  they are sending me a new firepin and hammer spring .

But I was wondering if maybe just changing to a brand that uses softer primers would solve my problem with out having to take the time installing a new hammer spring and firing pin which I have know experience doing .

I read federal uses the most soft primers is that true ?

Anyone else have a similar problem .

Edited by Storm914

9 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Is it the new midland? Light primer strikes are well known problem with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep they are  sending me the new hammer spring and pin but what about just changing ammo brand  think  its worth  a try ? Only happened with the sluggers 

Birdshot I used work fine and they where old 

Edited by Storm914

As far as I am concerned a firearm should be capable of detonating all of the manufacturers primers. Change the spring and hammer and make sure all ammo fires reliably, if it does not cure the problem ditch the gun. Imagine the big Boone and Crocket guy stepping out and you draw down and get a click and he bounds away without a scratch!!

Al

• Like 1

Yep they are  sending me the new hammer spring and pin but what about just changing ammo brand  think  its worth  a try ? Only happened with the sluggers 
Birdshot I used work fine and they where old 

Might find ammo that has a softer primer but with an exposed hammer you should have more than enough spring to dent a primer. Most talk about light primer strikes with shotguns is with trap guns with very light triggers.

If the spring and pin don’t fix it I would ditch the gun or just use it for small game where a miss fire isn’t the end of the world

1 minute ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Might find ammo that has a softer primer but with an exposed hammer you should have more than enough spring to dent a primer. Most talk about light primer strikes with shotguns is with trap guns with very light triggers.

If the spring and pin don’t fix it I would ditch the gun or just use it for small game where a miss fire isn’t the end of the world

Yes it's very annoying,  Well on a positive note  the slug hit dead center at my target at 55 yards with the improve cylinder choke i orderd . 

Thanks guys for the help 

The guy in the gun shop also told me the primers are set lower in the rem  Sluggers,  so it could be a combination of the 2 things hard primer and pimers recessed a thousands of inch to deep , He 

Actually showed me and you could definitely tell that Remington sets there primers a little lower in the brass then other brands .

Will see when the parts get here if I can even install those parts I'm sure I could send it back for them to do or exchange it but I'd rather not do that during hunting season when I would like to use it .

Edited by Storm914