Sign in to follow this  
dbHunterNY

Bullseye Competition

Recommended Posts

Fairly new to indoor NRA. Like golf. You have to be consistent. Tonight was at another club range. Targets higher causes weird form stuff I'm still learning about. Botched my score a bit.

5973a0178e1f678f2f4a7a38aee8e537.jpg5eabb46af47c4ff5aece710db555e9a7.jpg2daeed40e9490c49623601b75a2123f2.jpg

 

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

 

 

  • Like 2

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://arforny.com

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My son shoots NRA Youth Competition.  Also shoots various state matches.  Won the Gold two years in a row in the Connecticut State Games in his class.  He's damn good.  I don't have many pics on this new PC I'm on, but here's a couple from one of our Friday night outings at the club.  It's a ton of fun.  He shoots and Anschutz 1912.  I shoot a vintage 1403.  No scopes, all iron sights.  Distances range from 50 feet to 100 yards.  Rimfire competition is a blast!

 

 

20180602_115926.jpg

20180602_115938.jpg

20180602_120041.jpg

Edited by jmark
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fairly new to indoor NRA. Like golf. You have to be consistent. Tonight was at another club range. Targets higher causes weird form stuff I'm still learning about. Botched my score a bit.
5973a0178e1f678f2f4a7a38aee8e537.jpg&key=e0b3c2de05002f617313906df07ed911b8ddbe7afb5887dafdb43ed83ead9cca5eabb46af47c4ff5aece710db555e9a7.jpg&key=f5c9ffa275d557b6e09097eac8c1d10d959d41a1d9ecc8e5d846eff8ab597bc32daeed40e9490c49623601b75a2123f2.jpg&key=66e5dcd941fdf11ae0b3697070873c83e534c06be4183212341b83615367b8c3
 
Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
 
 

What are you shooting .22 rifle, .22 pistol?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I shot Bullseye for 10 years and it was one of my best teaching lessons on learning  marksmanship and increasing my abilities to shoot all firearms better. especially sight picture and trigger control. As they say "practice makes perfect" and I did a lot of that increasing my scores slowly and incrementally each year and eventually hit the wall and knew I was going no farther score wise no matter how much more I practiced. It was fun and something to do in the winters along with making some good friends.

Good luck and keep at it DB, you will have good and bad matches, as time goes on hopefully your scores improve and go up with practice and experience.

Al

Edited by airedale

Serious Dogs For Serious Work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, airedale said:

I shot Bullseye for 10 years and it was one of my best teaching lessons on learning  marksmanship and increasing my abilities to shoot all firearms better. especially sight picture and trigger control. As they say "practice makes perfect" and I did a lot of that increasing my scores slowly and incrementally each year and eventually hit the wall and knew I was going no farther score wise no matter how much more I practiced. It was fun and something to do in the winters along with making some good friends.

Good luck and keep at it DB, you will have good and bad matches, as time goes on hopefully your scores improve and go up with practice and experience.

Al

that's my problem i'm not shooting much. this club had targets a little high and everyone on our team shot a touch low. slow fire and timed fire you can see  where i changed things and i shouldn't for each 5 shot course of fire. first shots where under the 10 or X. then i tried to pull it up a little but grip tightened and pulled on the trigger too much causing the shots low and left (i'm right handed). then i loosened up too much and started healing the gun causing the erratic high shots.  are top shooter told me i should've just let myself group a touch low and i probably would've shot well. next time he said don't try to change things in the middle of a match.  i've still got the stock trigger that's twice as heavy as most people and a run of the mill grip that hasn't been modified to conform to my hand any better. i'm shooting a basic Ruger Mark III hunter and it was just a fun thing to do. might get a little more serious and tackle the stuff i mentioned.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://arforny.com

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

What are you shooting .22 rifle, .22 pistol?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
 

NRA format indoors match shot at a distance of 50 feet with a 22LR pistol with one hand only and unsupported.  10 shots at each of 3 targets for a total score of 300 possible. First course of fire is slow fire, which is 10 shots fired in 10 minutes at a NRA B-2 target. Next course of fire is timed fire which each of two 5 shot strings are shot in 20 seconds at a B-3 target. Last course of fire is rapid fire which each of two 5 shot strings are shot in 10 seconds at a B-3 target.

  • Like 1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://arforny.com

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jmark said:

My son shoots NRA Youth Competition.  Also shoots various state matches.  Won the Gold two years in a row in the Connecticut State Games in his class.  He's damn good.  I don't have many pics on this new PC I'm on, but here's a couple from one of our Friday night outings at the club.  It's a ton of fun.  He shoots and Anschutz 1912.  I shoot a vintage 1403.  No scopes, all iron sights.  Distances range from 50 feet to 100 yards.  Rimfire competition is a blast!

 

 

20180602_115926.jpg

20180602_115938.jpg

20180602_120041.jpg

as a club we don't really get into rimfire rifle competition other than non-stanard silhouette matches at 100 yards and bowling pin shoots with the pins at the very edge of the table. 22 rifle like this is a boat loads of fun and more what i'm used to shooting. i do know some clubs do the format you posted whether it's just the club or traveling league matches i'm not sure. relatively new to this traveling team and precision pistol thing.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://arforny.com

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

i've still got the stock trigger that's twice as heavy as most people and a run of the mill grip that hasn't been modified to conform to my hand any better. i'm shooting a basic Ruger Mark III hunter

Getting the trigger done so that it is light and crisp was the best single improvement I did on any of my pistols. Shooting with one hand makes a bad trigger much more pronounced and will pull you off target. I have been out of the competition loop for many years but I know the old Ruger Target pistols with a little tweaking and with good ammo would shoot in the same hole at 50 feet from a rest. There was a local pistol smith that installed Clark steel triggers adjusted down to a couple of pounds, very crisp with zero over travel, don't know what options the newer Rugers have.

A set of target grips that fit your hand may help put your gun in better position for both holding and sighting and add to your score and unless you have razor sharp vision a good optical sight will help add points also.

I did not go crazy on fancy match ammo, CCI standard velocity grouped fine and was almost totally reliable with just a couple of misfires during many years of matches.

And of course any practice reaps huge benefits, I did a lot of practice just dry firing on a snap cap.

Al

Edited by airedale

Serious Dogs For Serious Work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, airedale said:

Getting the trigger done so that it is light and crisp was the best single improvement I did on any of my pistols. Shooting with one hand makes a bad trigger much more pronounced and will pull you off target. I have been out of the competition loop for many years but I know the old Ruger Target pistols with a little tweaking and with good ammo would shoot in the same hole at 50 feet from a rest. There was a local pistol smith that installed Clark steel triggers adjusted down to a couple of pounds and crisp with zero over travel, don't know what options the newer Rugers have.

A set of target grips that fit your hand may help put your gun in better position for both holding and sighting and add to your score and unless you have razor sharp vision a good optical sight will help add points also.

And of course any practice reaps huge benefits, I did a lot of practice just dry firing on a snap cap.

Al

i've benched this pistol. it'll hold a group at least cutting the 10 ring with what ammo i've got which is some older purple box Eley Sport. Not sure the velocity. I've got half a case of Aguila target on deck after that which is a touch hotter but still standard velocity. there was a run of CCI that was 1200 fps that could hold them all well within the 10 ring but that's a touch hot for getting back on target during timed and especially rapid fire.  I can send it out to Clark custom for the best result but I was thinking it might be better to get a Volquartsen trigger kit for just over $100 and install the parts myself (some friends on standby that have done them) when i have time. i already plan on taking a basic Harrett National target grip with palm swell and "ruining" it with some JB weld wood putty.

  • Like 1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://arforny.com

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back tonight from an away match. Doing better but still havent fixed the trigger or grip. 92/100 slow fire. 87/100 timed fire.86/100 rapid fire. Slow fire should be your lowest score as the rings are closer together despite you have more time. Quarter covering my name for reference. If we could use two hands instead of one or use a rest, I could've really stacked them in there. Need more time to shoot and improve. Shooting less than once a week isnt much.
7ed800f8bfb19ca02271548a0335146d.jpg15f7272f8a1221720e946eb5ccb47d7f.jpgc160d5a84c234bfd3182f79463176d78.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  • Like 2

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://arforny.com

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.