Scary Accuracy

eagle rider

What  cartridge is it chambered for, Eagle ?

Regardless, that's some fine grouping. Sounds like you have a winner.

I'm currently working on a load for my .280 with the Barnes TTSX 140 grain, but I sure don't expect any one hole groups.. :) ..

With that loading in a 30-06, I'm guessing you're getting somewhere in the neighborhood of 3000 FPS MV.

The Nosler BT is an excellent bullet for deer sized game, and often they are THE most accurate bullet in any given chambering.

I have used the 140 Nosler BT @ 3000 FPS in my .280 as my pet load for years...Killed a bunch of stuff with it, including about a dozen caribou, a big mulie buck and a couple dozen whitetails. It also is very accurate and effective in my 7mm08. Never had any complaints.

I'd still be using it, except for the fact that a few years ago I tried the Barnes TSX, and I was so impressed with the performance and accuracy that I have since worked up loads around the Barnes for all my hunting rifles, except my M1 garand, for which I use Plain Jane cup and core spitzers such as Winchester power points or Hornady Spire points.

Nice, the 280 is a great round too.  Years back it was first billed as the 7mm Remington Express.  It is a true speed demon and definately an unbelted magunm equivalent.  A buddy of mine in Western VA hunts exclusively with that caliber and is never disappointed.  It is genuinely incredible the speed we can get out of the newer powders and the more optimized bullets.  Its getting to the point that you don't have to be shooting magnum rated cartridges anymore. 

I've never loaded up Barnes Bullets, but I know a husband and wife team in Wyoming who swear by them for elk.  They always seemed too beefy for Northeast deer and bear. 

The idea that Barnes bullets are too tough for deer sized game is a common misconception. In my experience they DO expand and kill game as quickly as any bullet I have used. I have killed game with them from coyotes to moose with excellent permance. Since I have been using them  I have shot mostly whitetails and feral hogs with them, but usually whatever I hit with them falls down right NOW.

Don't get me wrong..There are MANY less expensive options for killing deer sized game that are accurate and work just fine. Terminally, a deer is not a big challenge for a bullet. As long as you avoid the superexplosive varmint style bullets, you'll be fine, and even those will work if you can keep them in the ribcage and avoid shoulder blades and such.

However, Barnes X bullets are less expensive than many other "premium" bullets such as Nosler partitions, Swifts, Northforks and others.

AND they kill stuff just as dead in thier tracks as any bullet I have used ( and as I said, I have shot a lot of game with ballistic tips). Since I have been using them, they seem almost magical

in the way they drop game in thier tracks. AND one quality that I really like, is that they seem to leave considerably less mangled and bloodshot meat than other bullets I have used at similar velocities. Or higher velocities. Due to the fact that they retain almost 100% of thier weight, you can use a lighter grain bullet, and gain the trajectory advantage of higher velocities, with equal or better penetration than standard bullets. That is why I'm working up a load with the Barnes 140 TTSX  in my .280 for my moose hunt this year, rather than taking my tried and true 9.3 x 62.

They are also very accurate in the 3 hunting rifles that I have tried them in. I just have not found any disadvantages to the Barnes bullets other than the fact that they cost more than some bullets. I can accept that because I have absolute confidence in them and I don't really shoot a lot of bullets at game in a year.

In a nutshell, and in my admittedly limited experience, they work great...

And NO I don't own stock in Barnes Bullet Inc... ;D ...

To tell you the truth, I have lways considered them too heavy in construction to be optimal for deer.  But what you are telling me is that they perform just fine and they are super acurate.  I would consider trying a box and see how the do.  I shoot Knight Redhot Muzzleloader bullets which are made by Barnes.  They are terrific in the smokepole.  I know many who use Barnes, but it all seems to be for bigger game than deer.  I've alwys sought an acurate rapidly expanding bullet for deer that shed a lot of energy into a lightweight, thin skinned carcus.  It seems that everyone I ever spoke to about Barens bullets on such animals talk about tracking animals sometimes pretty far distances.  I've done really well with Sierra and Nosler over the years.  Again, I am willing to try them.  Who knows if they are that good, I'll buy some stock in the company, LOL.

Hehehehehe..

Yeah, have heard those stories about tracking game also..

All I am saying is that in my limited experience, there has been very little tracking with the Barnes bullets, and the ones that required it could have been done by Stevie Wonder.

I am not saying that you should change bullets as long as you are happy with what you are using, because there are MANY bullets that work well, especially on deer.

I just want to say that the impression that Barnes bullets are too STOUT for deer is an erroneous one. They work as well or better for deer sized game than any bullet I have ever used.

The first "T" in TTSX should help in expansion in game animals for those having any fears :)

I've killed with Barnes shotgun slugs, muzzleloader bullets, X bullets and Triple shocks to date.  The victims includes deer, bear, antelope and woodchucks. 

I have a pile of .284 120 grain Triple Shocks I'm trying to burn up in the 7-08 before I go to the TTSX. 

Eagle..I typically see exits about the size of a half dollar.

One of the advantages, as I see it, of the monolithic Barnes bullets is that you can drop back 10 or 20 twenty grains of bullet weight and take advantage of the higher velocity, while not decreasing penetration and not increasing the bloodshot meat and tissue destruction. They expand well but retain most of thier weight.

Since your 30-06 shoots 150 grain bullets so well, I would think that the 150 Barnes might be a good bullet to try.

All I know is that the darn things shoot great in my rifles, and I have been impressed at the terminal performance on game. More impressed than any other bullet I have used, which include Nosler ballsitic tips, partitions, and several cup and core bullets such as Speers, Sierras and  Horndays.

Good luck, Eagle. They might not group quite as tight the ballistic tips (that sounds like a tough act to follow) but if they give good hunting accuracy in your rifle, I think you'll be pleased at thier performance on game.

As a general rule, Barnes bullets should not be seated quite as close to the rifling as some other bullets. Barnes recommends seating them from .050" to .070" off the lands. They generally perform best with a little "jump" before contacting the rifling, unlike some other bullets that shoot best when nearly kissing the lands. Good luck and keep us posted on your results.

• 2 weeks later...