Walking for health

fasteddie

Doc.You're supposed to hold your BREATH when a car goes by... :) ....

I walk frequently for exercise. For many years when I lived out in the boonies, I would sling one of my milsurp rifles to increase the workout, and in case I encountered some critter that needed shooting. Now that I'm living right in town, I think I might get some negative reactions if I walked around the main streets and residential areas with my M1 slung on my shoulder.. :O ..

Running..hehehehehe. My running days are OVER. Last fall while goose hunting I walked over to pick up a downed honker and he stood up and started walking away.  Not wanting to waste one of my expensive magnum shotshells, I decided to chase him down and wring his neck.

RIGHT  !!!  I ran perhaps ten or twelve steps and the goose had already doubled his lead so I stopped, panting and wheezing, planted my feet and BOOM !! That was the end of that chase and the last time I try to run, especially in heavy boots and hunting clothes.

I like to swim regularly to help with fitness.

But like others have said...I also own property and have to maintain it. That said, a couple of well trimmed Acres has all the makings of a good excersize program. There's walking, weight lifting, stress tests, etc on a regular basis.

For my age, the doctor says I am in great shape. Let's hope he's right.

I am a great fan of getting exercise doing useful things. So the homestead provides a lot of projects even though some may consider a lot of it "make-work". However, I must say that as stated before, we do a lot of just plain walking (not along the road). It's an activity that the wife and I can do together. I also have a killer hill to climb. And when I say "Killer Hill" I mean that literally. Our next door neighbor had his heart give out while climbing that one.

When winter gets here, we will be also going to the YMCA on a regular basis.

These exercise things are not really optional for me, so I do tend to push it a bit. :)