Born On A mountain Top In Tennessee

airedale

1 hour ago, halfnelson said:

Love all the 'Old School" stuff like Davey Crockett...how bout Big Bad John ?  Do you remember the words?

Does a duck's ass pucker in a power dive  ?? 

Yes, I remember Big Bad John verbatim...And if I didn't I'd be reminded 2 or 3 times a week when I hear it on " Willie's Road House" on Sirius radio in my truck...Hehehe....

Actually, I am a very talented singer....Ask Robhuntandfish, Treeguy, Lawdwaz, The Real TCII, and a few others on the forum...

Actually, I sing love songs very well also, but I have not yet hunted with Paula or Cynthiafu….

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Last hunting season I was under the weather with the Lyme disease and did not put in much time shooting or hunting. Feeling half way decent this year so I have been able to do some of the things I like. Have been messing around with this Crockett Squirrel rifle quite a bit this Summer and Fall getting some experience under my belt so I thought I would do an update on how things have come along.

I have changed out the rear sight for the third time because of the high front fire sight and the multiple loads and different projectiles I have been using caused problems getting me on the money by not having enough adjustment. Had I just stayed with patched round balls there would have been no problem.

I really want the little maxi balls talked about earlier in the thread to shoot well because they change the whole character and effectiveness of the rifle. For plinking, targets or Squirrel hunting patched round balls are fun to shoot, reasonably accurate with approximate power equivalent to hi speed 22 lr ammo but woefully inefficient ballistically at longer ranges. The 110 gr Maxi Balls on the other hand turn the rifle into the equivalent of the old 32-20 cartridge, a huge upgrade in both range and killing power. Turns a short range Squirrel rifle into a rifle capable of taking game as large as a Coyote out to 100 yards or so.

As mentioned in another thread I was also having ignition problems with the 777 fff  using stiffer loads, this powder is harder to ignite and is not recommended for use in sidelocks because of that characteristic. To get around that problem I have found by changing the nipple to a Hot Shot, using magnum Winchester 11 caps along with keeping the loads mild the reliability has been good.

Finally got to do some actual Squirrel hunting, picked off a half dozen so far this season and I can say it was not easy, it is not the gun, the accuracy is well within angle of Squirrel group wise on a target. It is my old eyes (I have the start of Cataracts) having a hard time with the open sights drawing down fine on a small target like a Squirrel at longer distances making for a fuzzy sight picture, I have to get close. Game with a bit more size like a  Woodchuck or a Fox inside the rifle's range limit would be not so much a problem I think as I can hit those size targets on my range pretty good yet.

Anyhow damage is about the same as a regular 22, the slow projectiles do not expand much at all if any on a Squirrel.

With Deer coming up I am pumped and hope to do as well with the TC Cherokee.

Al

2020-09-23_124532.png

2020-10-06_104045.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1